Buying a car out of state -- transportation and taxes? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TheColorCute is an unknown
Buying a car out of state -- transportation and taxes?

Within the next week or two, I'm going to be purchasing a new (used) car from out of state.

I think I understand the tax situation. But, just to clarify, if I tell the dealer that I'm from out of state, I will not have to pay the excise taxes from that state. I will only have to pay taxes from the state in which I register the car and live, and I will have to pay that tax when I register the car at the VT DMV (I live in VT). I will probably buy the car from a seller (private or dealer) in NY, NH, MA, etc.

Now, as far as transportation goes, how do I arrange to drive it back to VT? I will be driving it myself. Would I have to go to the DMV in that state and get transit plates? I know I will also have to call my insurance company and insure the car before I drive it. What else will I have to do?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-14-2010, 01:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
your right about the taxes.

if its a dealer in that state, like here in ohio you will still pay $25 for a 30 day tag to get you home. the 30 day tag is for a few reasons, one being it takes the dealer that long to pay their bank off for that car being floor planed on there budget and sending the title to your bank or get it flipped from there name into yours. if that state does it differently who cares? or from a private seller. you still have a bill of sale with a purchase date. no cop in the world would be a dick about that if you just explain whats up. my insurance Co. also allows up to 10 days to call them after a purchase. so if i crash im still covered in that 10 day window. but if you have a VIN you can call anytime. you could even call your insurance and insure my car for you to drive if you had the number.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/