• 1 Post By sleepr
  • 2 Post By Fidrat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-23-2014, 01:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

DB_VW is an unknown
Brakes!

Hi all,

Its about that time that I replace my rotors and pads... Upon doing a quick search I noticed that this is quite expensive!

So I had a few questions, IS EBC a good brand for rotors? I found a few that were drilled/slotted (and some that were just slotted), at about 300 per corner - which I thought was a bit outrageous - but I don't know.

Also I was thinking about going with hawk break pads, but I'm unsure which ones!

Oh, and this is for my 08 WRX sedan!

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Yes EBC is good. HAwk is good as well. Do you track your car? If not just go with something like stoptech. Drilled/slotted is pretty much just for bling now that brakes are asbestos free. I had hawk but didn't really need them and can't justify the price so next time Im going with stoptech pads and drilled rotors (cause I like da bling ). They are about 250 for fronts and a little cheaper for rears. Here's my fronts waiting to be installed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 06-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage

Attached Images

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#4 Old 06-23-2014, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Bookey is spot on, If you're not tracking the car every weekend stoptech is really solid and Ive seen em as low as 150 per corner.

Just my .02 cents but I think they are capable even if you are a weekend warrior and track your car once in a while. Theres a difference between taking her to the track once or twice over summer and driving hard every weekend but stoptech does a pretty good job and they sell nice kits that include everything you need except the fluids.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#5 Old 06-23-2014, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I have Parts store front rotors and duralast gold pads, car stops just fine. If you aren't tracking it, OEM replacements are perfectly fine. A better use of money would be the grimmspeed brake cylinder brace and/or SS brake lines. I would do those before upgraded rotors and performance pads. But thats just me. Those two mods will make your brake pedal feel the way it should. My wife's base model lancer's brake pedal feels 10x more solid than mine does, because they don't have that firewall flex that our subaru's suffer from.
#6 Old 06-23-2014, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
+1 for SS brake lines. I was never really convinced how much rubber brake lines actually flexed until I installed SS brake lines on my car.
Brockton likes this.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#7 Old 06-23-2014, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
I went with this...

photo IMG_1977_zps58d73ccb.jpg

Installed!

photo IMG_2024_zps993ae830.jpg

$343 for just the fronts pads & rotors.
LW_Black4 and lfuller1988 like this.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#8 Old 06-24-2014, 03:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I'm running Stoptech pads and rotors all around, as they cost $100 a corner, and it's adequate for tracking.

Car Club mates generally run inexpensive blank rotors - without drilling or grooves - and high performance pads for trackwork.
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 06-25-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add image
#9 Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Just a note. Hawk HPS pads are very low dust. Look at my pic. That's a front rim. I can't remember the last time I cleaned them. Lookit' em' shine. Plus the rotors have a coating that has kept trhem rust free and lookin' good.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#10 Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

DB_VW is an unknown
Great!

So it looks like stoptech is a pretty legit alternative, the reviews I've read have all been positive. I am a bit of a "weekend warrior", I don't do much tracking - but I like to drive it fairly hard at times hence the upgrade.

So you were saying stoptech makes a kit? Like a rotor/pad combo? I haven't been able to find any.
#11 Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Pm me and ill set you up with my guy. He has great deals.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#12 Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_VW View Post
Great!

So it looks like stoptech is a pretty legit alternative, the reviews I've read have all been positive. I am a bit of a "weekend warrior", I don't do much tracking - but I like to drive it fairly hard at times hence the upgrade.

So you were saying stoptech makes a kit? Like a rotor/pad combo? I haven't been able to find any.
-- If boo-key has a guy then I would go with his guy. Otherwise rally sport direct has stoptech kits (Rotors, pads, and SS lines) for pretty cheap.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#13 Old 06-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Garage
He didn't have any in stock. Just sold the last set to a local. I do recommend him to anyone looking for parts though. His name is yanev @ smy performance cluster maker. His prices on stuff I've bought have never been beat. Tell him adair sent you and he will charge you extra hahaha He usually replies lightning fast with a quote if you message him on his Facebook page @ smy performance cluster maker. He also has a web site you can browse.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!