BOV's And Newbs - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
BOV's And Newbs

To all you newbs (including myself), yes a BOV sounds inspiring.
But keep in mind your car will NOT run as good with one installed. I have had an HKS SSQV and a Turbo-XS RFL. Both of which have made my car run like crap. Today I decided I had enough, and put my stock BPV back on. OMG the car feels like it just came off the showroom floor once again.
Probably the worst decision I have made in my car life was bolting those up to my TMIC.
I am so glad I finally had a free few minutes to make the switch back.

So in short, when one of us tells you to take off the BOV and put a stock BPV back on..DO IT, and save the frustration of having the crappiest running soob in your area!!!

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh or if it seemed I was ranting a beaten subject. I'm just very excited to drive my car again, even though I knew better and have been telling others not to do what I did for quite some time now.

That is all..............Thank You for your time.........CHEERS!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-19-2012, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
But keep in mind your car will NOT run as good with one installed. I have had an HKS SSQV and a Turbo-XS RFL. Both of which have made my car run like crap. Today I decided I had enough, and put my stock BPV back on. OMG the car feels like it just came off the showroom floor once again.
Probably the worst decision I have made in my car life was bolting those up to my TMIC.

So in short, when one of us tells you to take off the BOV and put a stock BPV back on..DO IT, and save the frustration of having the crappiest running soob in your area!!!

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh or if it seemed I was ranting a beaten subject. I'm just very excited to drive my car again, even though I knew better and have been telling others not to do what I did for quite some time now.

If you were closer I'd kiss you. Now to be honest there is a point and time to use one and when you get to that point you will know.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #3 of 35 Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
A properly working valve will have no ill consequences except the minor rich bump and loss of spool between shifts. That being said, BoVs are still a bad idea for most people because they require maintenance and setup, neither of which seem to ever be done correctly or at all. The reason cars run like crap and stall is due to leaking caused by that or because of poo design (in your case both the TXS H-line and the HKS SSQV V1 are both well known for leaking). The stock piece is ideal because it requires nothing at all from the user's end, it doesn't vent to atmosphere, and it's free.
post #4 of 35 Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I love free, and the overwhelming new found love for my car is just great

Keith......Ill meet ya half way buddy

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #5 of 35 Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post

God i wish i could go stock i been looking stock BOV on nasioc since aug. looking for stock since the idiot before me decided hks ssq bov 💂💂. I found a wrecked wrx i may ask guy at junk yard for one. Or if anybody on here wants to trade!?! Lol not much luck on nasioc Sooo
post #6 of 35 Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Reynolds773 is an unknown
What about an aftermarket BYPASS valve from Cobb?
post #7 of 35 Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
What's wrong with the stocker?

Perrin makes a fully recirc BPV that can handle 30+ PSI if you really need it, which you don't.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #8 of 35 Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

The stock bpv will do just great under your hood unless your looking at putting down big HP numbers..
If you really need to get rid of 300 dollars for a good BPV, give it to me and Ill ship you my stocker lol

I was looking at Cobbs BPV, but Im not even close to 300hp, so I would just be wasting money.
Nor will my car ever hit past 320 when Im finished with it....as planed. So I will just keep my stocker on there forever.

But its your money so do what you want.....If you must though, I have only heard good things about Cobbs BPV.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #9 of 35 Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If the Perrin unit Mosc is talking about, its GARBAGE. At least mine was, poor money wasted. The Cobb on the other had, great piece of work. I can and have ran mine in 50/50 and fully recirculated with no adverse effects. But like everyone is saying, the stock unit isnt really that bad either. I just didnt want to push 20PSI and mine start to leak and not have a backup, hence why I had upgraded mine.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #10 of 35 Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

^ Exactly, When needed with high Hp and/or boost levels...than fine, that's when you pull the trigger on that kind of upgrade. Otherwise its not an upgrade, just something to give that pssssshhhhhh sound when slamming gears.

I am in no way trying to bash or hate, so to speak. but more less, forewarn!
A BOV is typically for a wow factor and not a power mod. I just wish more people would take the advice and save their time and heartache by not even messing with it until NEEDED!!!

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #11 of 35 Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Randy I totally agree with you. To be honest I hate the sound of mine. Thats exactly why I went back to recirculating it. But of course with an intake, bigger turbo, intake, intercooler, and aftermarket BPV, its all part of the underhood symphony.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #12 of 35 Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
BOV's are only a bad idea unless your running a blow-thru setup or tuning through speed density. In personal preference I would only go with a Tial Q or a HKS Version 2. If the car is stock or not running any of 2 setups mentioned above, I would stick with a stock recirculating bypass valve, as they are good up to 20psi. Even with a 30R its still debatable.
post #13 of 35 Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

ranchrex86 is an unknown
Thanks for the heads up, was thinking of getting one in the past but I will think again, also my car will probably never see over 300awhp while I own it.
post #14 of 35 Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

WrxCruising is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchrex86 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, was thinking of getting one in the past but I will think again, also my car will probably never see over 300awhp while I own it.
Get a intake instead, amazing sound comes out of it.
post #15 of 35 Old 03-03-2012, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

2012WRXLMTD is an unknown
<---- Newb i jut ordered my 2012 WRX 4 door about 2 weeks ago and unfortunately already ordered and received a Turbosmart dual port BOV was well as an Invidia Q300 cat back, Process West TMIC from rallysportdirect. Reading this thread is making me second guess my purchase of that BOV.... Should i return it???