Blow-off Valves? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 03-20-2003, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_STi is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRX_STi
Question Blow-off Valves?

Sorry, just me the newb again. I was hoping you guys could assist me some more. You guys sound like you really know your stuff, and I would love to base my mods on your advice.
Now to my question....Is the blow-off valve sound on the WRX stock loud? And does anyone know much of the Blitz Super Blow Off Valve? I plan on buying that when I recieve the car. I just love that loud noise *psssshhhhhhhhh*. Also, will the blow off valve hurt the car? I don't want to end up replacing the turbo as soon as I get it. Also, what are some good mods to start with. So far, I plan on getting a bov, an intake, and a cooling kit from blitz. Thanks alot for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-20-2003, 09:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Sicne you're in Charlotte, if you're ever in my area, let me know and you can hear mine first hand....

The stock bypass valve makes no sound whatsoever. As for which makes the most sound? I have heard the TurboXS H-RFL is the loudest. I personally run the HKS model. I did some research, and I have not heard of any idling problems with it like I have with others. Plus, all the HKS stuff I've seen is really nice quality. There are inserts you can change in the valve to change the sound. But, mine is definately noticable, even over the exhaust.

As for your mods, I'd suggest changing the up-pipe first and then look into the various aftermarket ECU re-mapping companies. Those two mods will gain 40 or so hp, and probably 20 or so at the wheels.

If you're looking for sound and not so much performance, change the intake, BOV, and get a cat-back or axle-back. With those mods you will gain maybe 10 wheel hp, but it will sound like a completely different car.

I personally chose to change the sound along with increasing performance, but what's right for me might not be right for you.
post #3 of 39 Old 03-20-2003, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

topDog is an unknown
I go with the HKS SS bov!!!!! i heard its the best one out there , what do u think about it cosmo?
post #4 of 39 Old 03-20-2003, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_STi is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRX_STi
About that ECU...What exactly is it? Is like the boost controller? I was looking at Apexi boost control. I took a look at the ECU thing and showed a huge chip, but no controller. Any explanation would be nice. Appreciate it.
post #5 of 39 Old 03-20-2003, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally posted by topDog
I go with the HKS SS bov!!!!! i heard its the best one out there , what do u think about it cosmo?
I like it. It's been on for 7000 miles and I haven't had the first problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by WRX_STi
About that ECU...What exactly is it? Is like the boost controller? I was looking at Apexi boost control. I took a look at the ECU thing and showed a huge chip, but no controller. Any explanation would be nice. Appreciate it.
Well, the ECU does control the boost. But aftermarket boost controllers over-ride that. The ECU re-mapping adjusts the amount of fuel your car gets. When you increase boost, or free up the breathing of the motor (intake, exhaust, etc.) the engine has a tendency to run lean. The re-mapping takes your modifications into account and adjusts your fuel system accordingly. Aftermarket boost controllers allow your boost to be set at a certain level (some allow different levels in different gears) and to hold that boost without tapering off like it does stock. I wouldn't mess with the boost control without having some ECU work done.

If you want to know more, check out
www.turboxs.com
www.vishnutuning.com
www.cobbtuning.com

They all offer re-mapping services. There are also stand alone systems that over-ride and control fuel and boost, but they are pretty pricey.
post #6 of 39 Old 03-21-2003, 10:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

topDog is an unknown
Ive heard the turboxs utec is really good, but I suggest u get an expert tuner to do it for u!
it could also ruin ## engine or warrany if done wrong!
post #7 of 39 Old 03-21-2003, 03:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well, most people have TurboXS program it according to their mods, then they just plug it in. The best way is to take it to one of the companies and have them dyno tune it, but for some of us that's not possible, so that's why we just get our ECU's reprogrammed.
post #8 of 39 Old 03-21-2003, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

topDog is an unknown
cosmo? how would i program it myself? wihout risks? or who could do it ?
post #9 of 39 Old 03-21-2003, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

There are companies that make software that allow you to hook the ECU into your laptop and adjust it yourself. I've never tried it (too scared) so I can't tell you how well it works.
post #10 of 39 Old 03-24-2003, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Noogin is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Noogin
I had the HKS for 6months and it quit blowing off. Go with the Tubo xs, its real loud.

You can listen to it on this page!!!!!!!!!

http://www.turboxs.com/BOV%20Type%20H-RFL.htm
post #11 of 39 Old 03-24-2003, 09:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
There are companies that make software that allow you to hook the ECU into your laptop and adjust it yourself. I've never tried it (too scared) so I can't tell you how well it works.

where can I find the software? Does the software come with a chip that connects to the ecu or does the software generically connect to any piggyback (for example)?
post #12 of 39 Old 03-25-2003, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
Cosmo,

Can you give me the exact model of HKS BOV that you bought please.. I want to make sure I get the right one..Or if there is another that you would recommend?!?

Thanx
post #13 of 39 Old 03-25-2003, 10:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well, I don't have the box any more, so I can't give you an item number. But, if you go to www.jscspeed.com and order the one they have (the one with the flange) you should get the same thing I got.
post #14 of 39 Old 03-26-2003, 06:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
thanx a lot!!
post #15 of 39 Old 03-26-2003, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

thespraint is an unknown
Cosmo,

what other mods do you have...I think you have a Perrin short Ram intake?? Any thoughts on that?

thans again for your help!

dave