blow off - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

zuhalter is an unknown
blow off

Anyone know a good place in the phoenix az area to get a blow off valve installed, and/or would a dealer install one. And what is a good one to buy? This would be for a 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
you do not need a BOV. Your stock bpv is good for up to 20-22psi. Adding a BOV will mess up your cars A/F mixture and will cause your car to run real rough. THere will be plenty more guys who will tell you the same thing.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
#3 Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah don't do it unless you're talking about an aftermarket bypass valve. If it vents to atmosphere don't get it. The only thing you can do if you want the BOV sound is to get a hybrid. I know the COBB XLE Hybrid valve is supposed to work pretty well in hybrid mode. I think that one only vents 30% to atmosphere and the rest gets sent back to the intake.

CobbTuning.com - 11/18/09 - COBB XLE Blow Off Valve

Plus, if you have two hands, common sense, and a wrench you can swap it out in ten minutes. It's really easy man.

-Chris
#4 Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
As stated above get one that is either full recirculating, or has a hybrid mode. Perrin, TurboSmart, Cobb, GFB all make ones that are good. I just switched from the Perrin BPV to the Cobb BPV and couldnt be happier. I run the Cobb in "hybrid" mode. It vents most of the air back into the intake, and only vents to the atmosphere upon heavy load or full boost. Only problem with the Cobb unit is, like stated in their add, its a limited piece, not many were made I pre-ordered mine when I hear about it.

And also as stated above, DO NOT pay anyone to install it. Its two bolts on your intercooler. Take them out, remove stock unit, put on new unit (may or may not need a new BPV gasket) put bolts back in,tighten.

If you really want the noise without spending much money, either an intake or a panel filter will net you pretty much the same sound without alot of money (Cobb BPV was just over $300).

Pics and vid of Cobb BPV:Another Cobb Part

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 02-07-2010, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

zuhalter is an unknown
When you say intake or panel filter, are you talking about the air filter? sorry, im brand new to the whole turbo thing. Thanks for everyones help.
#6 Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Yea, the air filter. From trying to catch up and understand the new gen subies (08+ WRX) it seems that you guys can actually benefit from an intake opposed to use late gen (02-07 WRX) who dont need them until 350+ AWHP.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 02-07-2010, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhalter View Post
im brand new to the whole turbo thing
...well, then this site is for you: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Happy reading, my friend

(Seriously, it's a great site for beginners who are interested in modding their cars)

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#8 Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Deli_B is an unknown
zuhalter if your like me and was looking for just the sound I recommend the SPT intake. I put it on this past New Years to join my SPT CB, it made that sweet sweet noise louder. It makes normal shifting a bit louder and when you step on it, it roars at you. So if your just wanting the sound I would recommend getting an intake (either cobb or SPT these two are near the stock design and won't mess with your MAF like others do. Pretty much you can get these and not have to get a tune). Otherwise stay away from just getting a BPV.

Best of luck with your decision
#9 Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
SPT didnt make an intake for the 08-09 wrx, but the new wrx's do benefit from an intake. I know the Perrin CAI dosent require a tune. There are few out there. Just do your research before you buy anything.

-Randy
#10 Old 02-08-2010, 03:41 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You want to tune for an intake, it's just the smart thing to do. You should tune it when it's totally stock even, the stock tune is garbage. You guys avoid tuning way too much.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Well I'm not saying to avoid a tune...but like some people i have 2 little girls and alot of bills....so taking $400-$500 bucks to drop on a tune isnt always at the top of the list. Just trying to point out options.

-Randy
#12 Old 02-08-2010, 03:59 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Got bills and don't want to buy a tune? I got no issue with that. Don't buy an intake! Done.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#13 Old 02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

zuhalter is an unknown
Well, thanks everyone, its nice to get some decent input for a change. Have been on a couple other forums in the past, and whenever i asked a question, everyone treated me like i was stupid. Cant learn if i dont ask, and a postive attitude from you guys makes this alot more enjoyable.
#14 Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

PdxRex is an unknown
Are you planning to keep your warrenty? If so DO NOT get a tune and be carefull with a drop in filter or CAI. I know some dealerships work different but find a good one.