Subaru WRX Forum banner

Audio

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Rjauregui 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what an average price would be for a full sound system on a '15 WRX? All speakers are being replaced and adding a sub,box and amp. All Sony brand is what I was told and estimated at $1300 parts and labor. I don't know how to do any of that myself in fear of really messing something up.

#2 ·
Welcome to our forums,

Im glad to help you price out an audio system but first i need to know what your looking for. Do you want thumping bass, clean high notes, Do you listen to classical, audio books or hip hop? Give us more details and your budget and we can help alot.

A whole system in my head means Head Unit, Amplifier(s), Mid Drivers, Tweeters, Crossover Filters, Subwoofer(s), Boxes, Wiring ( or complete re-wire ) and OE integration.

For my musical preferences I like JL Sub woofers and tweeters and Pioneer D series mid driverss. The Pioneer D drivers are wonderful and i think they punch well above their price point. Coupled with proper crossover filters you can pull alot of quality out of the TS-D line as long as you dont try to drive them with high frequency or ask them to run too much bass. As for subwoofers JL has always been my go to but Pioneer offers a few subwoofers that are pretty accurate for about 1/3 the price of a JL unit. If you build a proper system with component speakers, tweeters and a single small sub woofer your probably going to be in the $1500 including your amplifier.

If you are replacing all the speakers with quality units you should not skip over your head unit. A bad head unit will make great speakers sound mediocre and a great head unit will allow you to tune up even the worst speakers. Head units can run you anywhere from $300 to about $1000 and it really depends on if you want the basics or you want android or apple auto. In any case plan on spending the extra cash to integrate whichever head unit you have with your built in controls. The boxes for steering wheel control are usually about $100 but its much better than losing that ability and having buttons that dont work in the car.

Install for a whole vehicle without re-wiring should run you between $200 and $300.

Hope that helps

#4 ·
Honestly that sounds like bargain basement hardware. To get that price down they would need to use very cheap parts. I used crutchfield for pricing info and selecting the cheapest sony speakers and amps I came out to $850. Those are not going to be excellent speakers by any stretch and I cant speak to the reliability of those amplifiers or the accuracy there of.

Any chance you happen to have the model numbers for any of the components in your kit? We can help you price out the components and maybe help you find something better in a similar price range.

Honestly I would rather see you replace just the mid drivers and setup a decent head unit with a dedicated amp rather than drop $1300 replacing your stock cheapo speakers with other cheapo speakers just to say everything is new.

If your target is to make the sound better and your on a budget you get away with running no amp and just using the head units speaker outputs to power some decent speakers. Most aftermarket head units can drive 50W per channel and while that is under driving most medium level speakers they would still sound better than bargain basement sonys.

As for adding Bass your new head unit should support a low level amplifier output, you could use that at a later time when you have the funds to add a nice single 10 to your car.

TLDR, Replace the speakers and head unit, add an amp if you have extra cash and save up for a Subwoofer package and tweeters Later. If you have the wiring laid out nicely ahead of time installing a powered sub in the trunk wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

#5 ·
This is the info i received from the people who are supposed to do the install. "subs are Sony XS-GS80L $199.98 x 2, Components speakers are XM-GS1621C $179.99 x 1, Amplifier is Sony XM-GS100 $349.99 x 1. Box is $100. Amp kit, line output converter, and labor ($455 for 7 hours). 10% discount on all parts."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.