Ap Vs. Open Source? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 Old 12-13-2008, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Open source over AP. You can do the same thing with OS that you can do with the AP for like 1/3 of the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostbuddy View Post
That is true..ECUtek does lock the ECU....Open Source is just a hacked version of ECUtek..they are exactly the same tuning tool...however I never thought that the reason ECUtek killed ECU's was because of it being locked...that is something I might just have to look into further.

I haven't ever used ROMraider...it is a similar program?
Open Source is not a hacked version of ECUtek. A bunch of guys reverse engineered the Subaru and Mitsubishi ECU's so that they know what tables do what and then came up with an editor to let us change the values of the tables.

RomRaider is the newest name for the open source tuning software. Check it out:
RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.

Last edited by mosc; 12-14-2008 at 02:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 12-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I just started tuning my wrx.Can my wrx benefit from an ap (access port right).If not what are some of the minnium mods required before I will need this?
post #18 of 26 Old 12-30-2008, 09:59 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
I just started tuning my wrx.Can my wrx benefit from an ap (access port right).If not what are some of the minnium mods required before I will need this?
Check Cobb's website.Their "stage 1" map is for a totally stock vehicle.....

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #19 of 26 Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Engine management will benefit you without any mods, but when you add a downpipe you need to get something. The car will run without EM, but not as good as it would with EM. An AP is only one option for EM. There are many different options out there and you have to find the one that will work best for your goals.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Check Cobb's website.Their "stage 1" map is for a totally stock vehicle.....
What kind of estimated power/torque gaines are we talking for the "stage one" map? Also if I want to try a different map late do I have to buy something els, and can i switch back if I dont like it or want to go back stock?
post #21 of 26 Old 12-30-2008, 06:47 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Most of the gains are in the low end torque, not peak. The other major gains are a much much smoother power band with a less severe break between open loop and closed loop fueling. The engine will run better, it'll even get a little better gas mileage when you keep your foot off of it (but a little worse when you use the petal more liberally).

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #22 of 26 Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Thumbs up

I went to the cobb website and understand a little more now. Thanks for the words of advise. Now I just gotta figure out a little but about open source.I am completely dumb about computer tuning right now.I will learn by reading though.Well gotta go research thanks again.
post #23 of 26 Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
AP's are extremely easy to sell used for $500+ so keep that in mind too. If you don't like it and want to go open source, it's not really as costly as throwing it away. It's a lot more than a flashing device.
I thought once you used the AP on a vehicle it married that ecu, and cant be used on another.
post #24 of 26 Old 12-31-2008, 09:13 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
I thought once you used the AP on a vehicle it married that ecu, and cant be used on another.
It can only be used on one vehicle at a time.You unmarry the AP when you want to sell it and it can then be remarried to another vehicle.

post #25 of 26 Old 01-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Garage
So I guess you have to return it to the stock map before you can unmarry it?
post #26 of 26 Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
So I guess you have to return it to the stock map before you can unmarry it?
Yup.Gotta flash back to stock ROM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement