WRXtuners Member

On_3_Go is an unknown
Ap Vs. Open Source?

Which do you perfer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
AP because I have it. Sorry, that was a little biased. If you're just starting out in the modding process, it's a good option because you can do it yourself easily and it'll get you through Stage 1 and Stage 2 with reliability. After Stage 2, it's a whole different ball game... sort of... because you can still follow AP maps exactly and upgrade a little more, but most people take different routes.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
It all depends on what you are capable of, or want to learn, or even spend. Both are nice. Im with man show just becuase I own one and have been running it since i had the car. Search them both, they have been discussed thoruoghly, see which suites you the most.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 12-11-2008, 07:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

On_3_Go is an unknown
well thanks guys for the help ill do just that cause i have the money for the AP and i can get all the components for the open source so its a toss up til i learn alittle more about both
#5 Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
AP's are extremely easy to sell used for $500+ so keep that in mind too. If you don't like it and want to go open source, it's not really as costly as throwing it away. It's a lot more than a flashing device.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boostbuddy is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Boostbuddy Send a message via Yahoo to Boostbuddy
Open source is a better tune if you don't plan on making a lot of changes...it is a more custom tune for your car but not something you want to keep redoing everything other month....the AP is great for it's plug and play maps and ease of use. The EM you choose should fit what you are going to do with the car...if you are about done modding then Open Source is the way to go for sure..if you are not UTEC or AP is the way to go because you can retune them a 100 times without any issue or concern of frying your ECU.
#7 Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Garage
reflashing 100 times with the AP is just as risky as with open source. The AP is not a pigyback like the UTEC, it uses the stock ECU exclusively.

#8 Old 12-11-2008, 10:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boostbuddy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
reflashing 100 times with the AP is just as risky as with open source. The AP is not a pigyback like the UTEC, it uses the stock ECU exclusively.
True...but the AP is much easier on the ECU and doesn't allow for "tuner mistakes"...I haven't seen a fryed ECU from the AP (yet)...but I have seen several Open Source (ECUtek) ECU's crap out after only 5-10 tunes.
#9 Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostbuddy View Post
True...but the AP is much easier on the ECU and doesn't allow for "tuner mistakes"...I haven't seen a fryed ECU from the AP (yet)...but I have seen several Open Source (ECUtek) ECU's crap out after only 5-10 tunes.
I believe you may be mistaken about Open Source. ECUtek is one of the open source versions but not the best. In my opinion ROMraider is a better option. ECUtek can fry an ECU in a heartbeat whereas ROMraider is similar to AP in that you can flash hundreds of time without a problem. Personally, I've flashed my car about 50 with it and still haven't had a problem. Reason ECUtek causes issues if I'm not mistaken is that it locks the ECU and can only be modified by someone with the proper hardware/software. Any other attempt can cause ECU failure. ECUtek IMO is NOT Open Source.

Cost on the ROMraider is cheap if you already have a laptop. All it will run is around $75 for a cable set and up to $150 for a tune. The software is all free, and you can modify the tunes if you feel comfortable.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#10 Old 12-11-2008, 11:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boostbuddy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 CrazyTaxi View Post
I believe you may be mistaken about Open Source. ECUtek is one of the open source versions but not the best. In my opinion ROMraider is a better option. ECUtek can fry an ECU in a heartbeat whereas ROMraider is similar to AP in that you can flash hundreds of time without a problem. Personally, I've flashed my car about 50 with it and still haven't had a problem. Reason ECUtek causes issues if I'm not mistaken is that it locks the ECU and can only be modified by someone with the proper hardware/software. Any other attempt can cause ECU failure. ECUtek IMO is NOT Open Source.

Cost on the ROMraider is cheap if you already have a laptop. All it will run is around $75 for a cable set and up to $150 for a tune. The software is all free, and you can modify the tunes if you feel comfortable.

That is true..ECUtek does lock the ECU....Open Source is just a hacked version of ECUtek..they are exactly the same tuning tool...however I never thought that the reason ECUtek killed ECU's was because of it being locked...that is something I might just have to look into further.

I haven't ever used ROMraider...it is a similar program?
#11 Old 12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Head over to RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider and check it out. I've had only good experiences with it. Had a UTEC, hated it since it was quite costly for a tune and I couldn't really figure out the tuning. ROMraider, I can actually see the 3D maps and change any value I need to. Also, it has a listing of all the CELs possible for the car and you can select certain ones not to show up or even register as an issue.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#12 Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

On_3_Go is an unknown
does any one have the link for the cable i found it on tactrix but theyre 179.99 unless thats the one i need
#13 Old 12-11-2008, 09:28 PM

Garage
That's the new version that supports some other stuff. The old ones were less money. I don't think they even sell them anymore from the "official" site.

#14 Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostbuddy View Post
I have seen just as many AP "bricked" ECU's as Opensource and they ALL revolve around user error.Generally its either interupting durring flashing or low vehicle battery power.I prefer Opensource if you have a laptop because there are premade maps available just like the AP and Utec but for more advanced "tweakers" you have more control over OBD II functions and some of the software (Ecuedit) is quite powerfull.I have been running launch control on my 2.0L for almost 6 months,way ahead of Cobb's maps.Also a map switching patch is in the works as well for Opensource.Downside is the freeware is use at your own risk.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#15 Old 12-13-2008, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bootsie is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 CrazyTaxi View Post
Head over to RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider and check it out. I've had only good experiences with it. Had a UTEC, hated it since it was quite costly for a tune and I couldn't really figure out the tuning. ROMraider, I can actually see the 3D maps and change any value I need to. Also, it has a listing of all the CELs possible for the car and you can select certain ones not to show up or even register as an issue.
Can you download pre-made maps like you can with AP? or do you just use it to alter the map that is currently flashed on your ECU?