Subaru WRX Forum banner

Another Diff Fluid...

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
I know, I know, but before you get mad, I've read about 10 threads now on trans and diff fluid changes. This is what I know:

1) How to go about changing said fluids.
2) How much fluid I need.
3) What fluid to use in my transmission.

But what I need to know is which fluid to use in my rear diff. Is it like a rule of thumb just to use the same fluid as the trans? This is my first time doing this so I don't want to F my subie in the A. Just trying to be sure before I do it.

#7 ·
Personally, I use the Andrewtech cocktail in my trans and change that every 15k:

add:
(2x) 1 Qt. Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil 75W-140
(1x) 1 L. Motul Gear 300 75W-90

top off with most of the remaining, checking the level with the trans dipstick so as to not overfill:
(1x) 1 Qt. Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil 75W-140

So I guess the answer for me is, sort of :)

#8 ·
In my rear diff, I use Redline 75W90 at the recommended interval in my owners manual. I went with "uncle Scotty's cocktail" in the tranny last spring. Now I can downshift into 1st from a roll. Just remember, I have an 03. It has a limited slip rear diff, the 08 does not. It may require a different lube. Can't go wrong with OEM

Reactions: Epictofer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.