6Likes
  • 3 Post By man show
  • 1 Post By arcticscythe
  • 2 Post By Fidrat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subarufan123 is an unknown
Advice for smoother up shifting and downshifting?

Shifting from 1st to 2nd? And starting out in 1st for a smooth take off? How do I get consistent downshifts? I'm a perfectionist to say the least and I over think up shifting and downshifting therefore I generally screw up lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you want to be smoother going from a complete stop to 1st, or from 1st to 2nd, use the clutch a little more - take an extra second and let your left foot off the clutch a little slower. At the same time, be more gradual when you apply the gas pedal. Practice makes perfect.

As far as downshifts, same thing - use the clutch a little more.

A good shift shouldn't take more than a second or two at the most. If you're using the clutch longer than that, you'll probably begin to smell it and you'll burn it up sooner.

Once you master that, you can try rev-matching and double clutching.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I for one benefited hugely from performance driving lessons. They aren't cheap but having a professional give you pointers is priceless in my book.

When i was still driving the Mitsubishi I used a phablet as a heads up display with a handful of extra gauges like numerical RPM, throttle position, G-force and a shift indicator. it connected to the car via the OBD2 port with a Bluetooth dongle. The idea is that you get a better understanding of whats going on with your feet and with the engine. for about a hundred bucks the extra data can help you self train.

If you dont want to spend alot on training and hardware i would watch youtube videos on rev-matching. then go out and waste some gas : )
Subarufan123 likes this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#4 Old 04-09-2014, 01:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

bluestreak is an unknown
I still don't shift smoothly every time but here is what I did to get better:
researched my gear ratios
see which gears are closer and which are wider
watched the rpm gauge and try to memorize the rpm drop from one gear to the next (memorized on a flat road, then add some rpms for uphill and subtract for downhill depending on the degree of the slope)

As far as heel/toe rev-matching, first I check my speed and then estimate what rpms will need to be for the gear I'm shifting into. Then I try to rev a little above that to compensate for the time it takes to shift and let the clutch out. Just remember not to let the clutch out mid corner if you're hauling a$$

It sounds way more complicated than it is... once you get the feel for it's pie.

Modifications: my lightweight crank pulley made a world of difference for rev matching. It revved quicker and eliminated the shift lock I was getting. However, that was with the stock cat back. Now that I have full 3" catless turbo back exhaust it revs so fast I can (kind of) heel/toe with honky work boots.
#5 Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
If you want to be smoother going from a complete stop to 1st, or from 1st to 2nd, use the clutch a little more - take an extra second and let your left foot off the clutch a little slower. At the same time, be more gradual when you apply the gas pedal. Practice makes perfect.

As far as downshifts, same thing - use the clutch a little more.

A good shift shouldn't take more than a second or two at the most. If you're using the clutch longer than that, you'll probably begin to smell it and you'll burn it up sooner.

Once you master that, you can try rev-matching and double clutching.
Luckily I haven't smelt my clutch burning so I guess I'm doing some things right. I've been driving my WRX for close to 7 months now and starting out in first still stumps me but I will put your advice to use for that and 1st to 2nd up shifts as well. I guess you could say I granny shift because I still don't feel comfortable shifting fast. I did have rev matching down but lost it. I think about it to much and then it ends up being to late rather than executing it smoothly. 4th to 3rd gear downshifts stump me because I tend to hold the clutch in to long before i try to rev match. I feel like I should be a pro by now after owning the car for almost 7 months. Practice does make perfect, I worry about the fact I could be hurting my clutch, transmission, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
I for one benefited hugely from performance driving lessons. They aren't cheap but having a professional give you pointers is priceless in my book.

When i was still driving the Mitsubishi I used a phablet as a heads up display with a handful of extra gauges like numerical RPM, throttle position, G-force and a shift indicator. it connected to the car via the OBD2 port with a Bluetooth dongle. The idea is that you get a better understanding of whats going on with your feet and with the engine. for about a hundred bucks the extra data can help you self train.

If you dont want to spend alot on training and hardware i would watch youtube videos on rev-matching. then go out and waste some gas : )
If money wasn't tight right now I'd sign up for classes in a heart beat. I will have to watch more videos in the mean time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I still don't shift smoothly every time but here is what I did to get better:
researched my gear ratios
see which gears are closer and which are wider
watched the rpm gauge and try to memorize the rpm drop from one gear to the next (memorized on a flat road, then add some rpms for uphill and subtract for downhill depending on the degree of the slope)

As far as heel/toe rev-matching, first I check my speed and then estimate what rpms will need to be for the gear I'm shifting into. Then I try to rev a little above that to compensate for the time it takes to shift and let the clutch out. Just remember not to let the clutch out mid corner if you're hauling a$$

It sounds way more complicated than it is... once you get the feel for it's pie.

Modifications: my lightweight crank pulley made a world of difference for rev matching. It revved quicker and eliminated the shift lock I was getting. However, that was with the stock cat back. Now that I have full 3" catless turbo back exhaust it revs so fast I can (kind of) heel/toe with honky work boots.
Well over the past 3 months I have done several mods that helped my shifting get better but I'm still not where i want to be. I installed a Group N "STi" transmission mount, kartboy transmission mount bushings, kartboy shifter bushings, kartboy rear shifter bushing, and a kartboy pitch stop mount and I also am running a Grimmspeed Light weight crank pulley as well. Haven't gotten rid of the OEM Downpipe yet lol.
#6 Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
If you want any hope of getting into 1st from 2nd without coming to a complete stop(normal with this car) put this in the tranny. AKA Uncle Scotty's cocktail.

1 Transmission Cocktail Mix - GrimmSpeed
gunk007 and Subarufan123 like this.

The sensation is as hard to forget as it is to ignore!!!
#7 Old 04-10-2014, 09:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
If you want any hope of getting into 1st from 2nd without coming to a complete stop(normal with this car) put this in the tranny. AKA Uncle Scotty's cocktail.

1 Transmission Cocktail Mix - GrimmSpeed
Already did my research a while back and went a head and changed to Uncle Scotty's 1000 or so miles ago. It helped for sure.
#8 Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

bluestreak is an unknown
I just thought of this... I ported and polished throttle body, exhaust manifolds and got a Grimmspeed crosspipe. There is so much more off-boost torque. I can let the clutch out in first with no gas on flat ground. The engine doesn't chug like it used to in any gear! Kinda helps out on shifts too.

After researching p&p I didn't expect to see that much difference.

So does the cocktail reduce effort needed to shift?
#9 Old 04-14-2014, 05:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I just thought of this... I ported and polished throttle body, exhaust manifolds and got a Grimmspeed crosspipe. There is so much more off-boost torque. I can let the clutch out in first with no gas on flat ground. The engine doesn't chug like it used to in any gear! Kinda helps out on shifts too.

After researching p&p I didn't expect to see that much difference.

So does the cocktail reduce effort needed to shift?
I would say it made a massive difference with my Bugeye. When i first got my Subie I noticed that I'd have hard time getting into first as well as reverse especially in the winter. I noticed the difference right away and rarely have a hard time getting into either gear. It allowed smoother shifting but I also have installed a bunch of bushings, and different mounts to help with that as well.