Advice for my 15 y/o son - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

tf78933 is an unknown
Advice for my 15 y/o son

My son just turned 15 and we are looking for a project car. He loves the WRX. He's seen plenty of them autox where I race my RX 8.
There is no way I want to turn him loose with a WRX, let alone pay for the car insurance, so this is my thought. Buy a 05-06 impreza and start modifying it, Body kit, wheels, etc. so it looks like a WRX, and in a year or two either drop in a new drive train, or probably move to a WRX.
This way, he has the looks of a WRX with the insurance costs of a impreza.
I know the RX 8 inside and out, but I am clueless, so far, when it comes to a Subaru. Does this sound like a viable alternative? Where can I go for WRX body parts, wheels, etc?. I can check ebay and google vendors, but if anyone has experience with this, your comments are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I think it's the best idea/option you have. 16yr olds in a WRX/STi is a bad move.

There is a graveyard here in TX... Houston to be exact... Many ppl on NASIOC.com are selling their WRX stuff anyways (wheels/hoods/trunks/etc..)

FYI

02-03
04-05
06-07

Those are the years that many parts will intermingle with the regular Impreza (so take your pick)

My experience with this is that many auto-x'ers do this and find that the older the body style, the easier the parts are to find/match BUT 06-07 might be the best bet for mileage reasons.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 05-11-2011, 11:30 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
if you want to drop in a WRX motor, you're going to need the entire wiring harness just so you know. Also, the 06+ are drive by wire so that's another thing to keep track of. not sure which year 2.5i's are dbw.

If the idea of rewiring an entire car isn't appealing to you, I would view the 2.5i and the wrx as two entirely separate cars.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 05-11-2011, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

11_WRX_sleeper is an unknown
Well I can only speak for myself, but I got my first sti when I was 20yrs old. Before that I owned a 97 honda prelude(5spd). I think a 02-04 wrx bone stock will be just fine for him. The insurance shouldn't be that bad if he's a co driver under your name(that's what my dad did for me with the sti).
#5 Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Then again that's insurance fraud if the "co-driver" is driving it all the time. The man might want to do things the "right" way....

Good idea, bad execution IMHO.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 05-11-2011, 05:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I did the same thing(insurance wise). for cost reasons..and when I was that age I got a ton of tickets...but no, its not the correct thing to do.

As far as what he should get as a project(first car). I would probably not trust a 16Y.O. with a turbocharged car, kids love to fly around recklessly when people are around, and when there alone!
I would want vehicle collision and my child's injuries to be something to be avoided.

So for my .02, I would rather see him mess around with an Impreza, 02-05 probably!

........GL...............CHEERS!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#7 Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

KCsubikid is an unknown
I got my 05 WRX when I was 18. I have only had one speeding ticket (knock on wood), and I wasn't even aware I was speeding because I was in conversation with people in my car. Sure I will admit to some spirited driving, but why have one of these cars if you don't have some fun occasionally.
If you trust your kid and he has proven himself responsible, I think he will be fine. It seems a though he has a little background/knowledge of cars, so I would assume he would understand how the car performs. As long as he doesn't abuse his privileges, I think a WRX wouldn't be a bad choice.
But if you truly think that he would take advantage of the car too much, then go with the impreza. Both are good choices!

-Jason-
Protuned 4EAT- Helix DP, Grimmspeed CC UP, Grimmspeed EBCS, SPT CBE
#8 Old 05-11-2011, 06:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
I think your intitial idea is a good one. I would have been all over having a WRX in high school, and may even have every intention of driving letter of the law. But no one would drive one of these cars every day and not be tempted to keep pushing it a little further.

My best friend got a 210hp GSX Eclipse in high school, and every time we were together, we were very irresponsible in it to say the least. We were both what most would consider good kids, but it's what young guys do.

Not to mention the peer pressure I'm sure would pop up after school in the parking lot. Just last week some guys in a parking lot asked me to do a burn out for them. Not a lot of 15 year old guys I knew could resist the opportunity to show off if they had the keys in hand

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#9 Old 05-11-2011, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Please don't put a hoodscoop on a 2.5RS/2.5i.
#10 Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Please don't listen to him^

Like...every other person thinks the exact opposite.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#11 Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Please don't listen to him^

Like...every other person thinks the exact opposite.
I'm gonna go put a hoodscoop on my Solara then so I can be one of the cool kids.
#12 Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

^^Why do you keep copying me ???

lol

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

well am 28 now, but at 16 i drove a svt stang that was sick that my dad pasted down to me. My first clutch was a stage 3, and I turned out fine. guys are going to guys everyone that has a 5 or 6spd is going to have some fun every now and again. so if your going to get him a 5spd then he will drive fast from time to time.....awd is safer than rw or fw anyways.
#14 Old 05-12-2011, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

well it worked for me, and plus i how do they know if it's fraud or not. i mean the insurance co would have to basiclly spy on you. then again i live in a small country town, and plus i used to date a girl that does insurance for a living and she told me that most insurance co say that just to get you to pay that extra fee a month.
#15 Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

^^ Wasn't meant as a stab towards you by any means.

Don't get me wrong... looking for ways around things are my speciality... I just don't with insurance companies, IRS, Gubment..... Everything else is fair game.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3