• 1 Post By brfatal
  • 1 Post By boo-key bear
  • 1 Post By BLAZE2099

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-01-2014, 01:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

RickyTurbo11 is an unknown
Advice on improving Stage 2

Anyone have any advice on some performance upgrades I could do that wouldn't require a tune?

Ideally I would like to get the ProcessWest TMIC but that would require a tune, and if I'm gonna spend that kind of money and drive to go tune my car I might as well wait and get a 3 port, fuel pump and injectors.

For instance, do you think a short throw shifter might be a good add on? Or springs?

Just looking to upgrade something without having to spend over a grand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Light weight crank pulley, bigger fuel pump, short shifter and bushings, motor mounts, trans mount, suspension bushings, sway bars, springs, strut, there's tons of chassis bracing out there, performance tires, brake lines, pads, rotors, high performance fluid, master cylinder brace.........I can go on and on. Another mod that would be worth while would be to get a protune with the mods you have now if your using a ots map.
BLAZE2099 and arewmors like this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ this guy gave one hell of a good list. The shifter kit with bushings is night and day
boo-key bear and arewmors like this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#4 Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Intercooler doesn't require a tune, you just won't fully benefit from it until you do get one though.

Sway bars.
BLAZE2099 likes this.
#5 Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

My fault I must need to update my profile. I have a protune. If you think the short throw is a good mod than that seems like a good place to start for $150. I have sway bars, and if I'm gonna do suspension I'd just save up for coilovers. As far as brake upgrades, I'm just waiting to go through the stock pads and than I think I'm just gonna upgrade the pads, rotors, brake lines and fluid. Not necessary to spend big money on Brembos for a DD. And yea id love to do engine mods like a lightweight crank pulley for fuel pump but those all require a retune, and again if I'm gonna do any, I'm gonna do a lot at once to make the retune worth doing. I'm looking more for small upgrades that don't require a retune. The transmission mounts sound like a good idea. Benefits? I know they got rid of the wheel hop on my old fwd car but not sure what they will do for my AWD wrx.
#6 Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Coilovers are not the 1st mod you should be throwing down for suspension, nor are they really a good idea on a DD considering you're spending so much money on adjustability and capabilities you can never take advantage of outside of a track setting (99.99999999% of Subaru owners cannot out-drive struts and springs on public roads) and because they are high maintenance. Ones worth more than their weight in dirt start at ~$2,000. Those $1k budget ones are complete garbage. Sway bars are the biggest bang for the buck mod there is in any category.

Crank pulley does need a retune but it's still a poor mod. Trans mount is ok, but you probably won't notice any change. Fuel pump is not necessary and nor are Brembos unless you get all 4 brakes replaced and race. Just doing the fronts can actually be bad as it will throw off your brake bias.
#7 Old 04-02-2014, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Fuel pump and crank pulley does not require tuning. Fuel pump will not give you any performance but, it will be needed down the road for larger mods that require more fuel. Its kinda a just go ahead and get it out of the way upgrade. Any mod that changes the airflow or fuel flow coming in or leaving the engine (with the exception of a catback) will require a tune. This includes intercoolers. They change airflow. Im not saying your gonna blow your engine by putting a ic on without tuning. I would not personally do it though.
arewmors likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#8 Old 04-02-2014, 04:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Oh snap! Here we go!

Just get a full shifter kit and let these guys duke it out.... Hahaha
arewmors likes this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#9 Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
@RickyTurbo11

Upgrade the equipment between your steering wheel and your seat, If you've got some cash to spend a performance driving course makes for a fun afternoon and it makes you a better driver. oh and i almost forgot no re-tune needed : )

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#10 Old 04-02-2014, 03:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

I've looked into that and there is a rally school not too far but those courses are pretty big money and with nowhere around me where I could use those skills...seems pointless. but thanks