98 Forester Transmission in WRX? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-07-2011, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

laserj is an unknown
98 Forester Transmission in WRX?

Hello Gang,

I used to be a first gen AWD DSM'r. I'm looking at buy a WRX from a guy I know. I haven't gone through all the Tech Articles yet, so bare with me if this is answered in that section.

It's an 02 WRX Wagon. The transmission went out on it, and he found a 98 forester transmission and rear end for $400. He swapped that in the WRX. He said it would be stronger because of the higher revs for each gear. The only con was the cruising RPM on highway would be higher.

Since than he ran a 13.5 @103 in the 1/4 mile and was #2 in an AutoX Beginner Class. What are you thoughts on this swap? I dont' want to be going through transmissions. I don't want to drag race, but I want to do about 4 AutoX events this summer.

Mods: GR2 struts, Eibach STI lowering springs. Rebuilt Motor, 3" exhaust turbo back. Partial throttle boost, and some tune on the ECU. It really sets you in the seat. He didn't tune the ECU so not sure what all was done.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-07-2011, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I dont know about the stability as far as racing, but Ive seen alot of post here and on other forums about this swap for more day to day stability.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
what I understand is the reason Subaru blew so many trannies in their 02 03 WRX's was that they took Forester trannies and threw them in as an afterthought. So, if that's true, which I got this info from a guy at a transmission shop, then you'de be replacing it with an equally unstable transmission.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#4 Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
what I understand is the reason Subaru blew so many trannies in their 02 03 WRX's was that they took Forester trannies and threw them in as an afterthought. So, if that's true, which I got this info from a guy at a transmission shop, then you'de be replacing it with an equally unstable transmission.
Er, no. The WRX's transmission is unique to it, HOWEVER, it is loosely based on +20 yr old design that they had been used for multiple other models. The reason so many transmissions were broken is due to user error and abuse. People used to Hondas, etc, thought they could drive the way they could in past cars. Most AWD performance cars are known for "glass" drivetrains. EVOs, S4s, 3kGT, etc.
#5 Old 02-08-2011, 05:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If I'm not mistaken, the gearing is a bit different.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

laserj is an unknown
Okay guys, thanks for the input so far. Sounds like it really isn't a downgrade, nor an upgrade. I've been doing some reading too. I haven't found the exact same setup, but others seem to agree that the transmission receives less stress when gearing is around 4.11 which is what I believe this setup is.
#7 Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

fincsher is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserj View Post
Hello Gang,

I used to be a first gen AWD DSM'r. I'm looking at buy a WRX from a guy I know. I haven't gone through all the Tech Articles yet, so bare with me if this is answered in that section.

It's an 02 WRX Wagon. The transmission went out on it, and he found a 98 forester used transmissions and rear end for $400. He swapped that in the WRX. He said it would be stronger because of the higher revs for each gear. The only con was the cruising RPM on highway would be higher.

Since than he ran a 13.5 @103 in the 1/4 mile and was #2 in an AutoX Beginner Class. What are you thoughts on this swap? I dont' want to be going through transmissions. I don't want to drag race, but I want to do about 4 AutoX events this summer.

Mods: GR2 struts, Eibach STI lowering springs. Rebuilt Motor, 3" exhaust turbo back. Partial throttle boost, and some tune on the ECU. It really sets you in the seat. He didn't tune the ECU so not sure what all was done.

Thanks.

don't let it turn you off to the guy it sounds like he knew what he was doing, he has probably taken good care of it...which to me is the most important thing