Subaru WRX Forum banner

2016 wrx wheel/tires

51K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
hello. this sat just picked up '16 wrx blk at 26k. trying to get winter rims and tires. found 215/50/17 on 17x8 with +40 offset. would these fit on my wrx? ## help much appreciated.

#3 ·
Depends on what the bolt pattern is, I think the 15+ is 5x114.3 where as most older models are 5x100. also stock offset is in the mid 50s so a 40 without making the wheel wider might be close.

For winter wheels you typically want shorter wheels with fatter rubber. Most guys grab old 16 inch steelies and put some nice wide winter rated rubber on them. Depending on where your driving Blizzacks are pretty solid choice as are most studded tires. Best part about blizzacks is that they are studless so you can drive them when its not snowing without tearing up the road or ruining your studs.

Hope that helps

#4 ·
2016 fenders clear 245 at +55 on the stock STi from the factory (and more to spare). 215 is 15mm less tire per side so exact same fender clearance as stock 2016 STi 245 width as with 215 at +40.

+40 won't HANDLE as well, but it's going to clear perfectly fine.

The wheels do indeed need to match your car's bolt pattern. 02-14 WRX is 5x100, 15+ WRX is 5x114.3

If you have a few more pennies to rub together I'd say look for 17x8" +48 to +55 offset wheels and run a 235/45R17 performance winter tire. 215 is a lot of width to cut on roads that AREN'T covered in snow/ice. If you like in like Alaska or something maybe you want a 215 wide pure snow tire but if you're in the northeast cutting width and pure snow is silly (and will reduce performance/safety on mostly cleared cold roads you'll likely spend most of the winter driving on).

#5 ·
thank you for the feedback. the owner said they were 5x100 but fit on his lexus is300 w 5x114 fine. mostly worried about clearance. also what i understand is skinnier tires with higher profiles are better for winter. i love the car, huge difference from my 250hp 96 prelude, but not the wheel specs. yes i can put wider tires upto 265 but can get deep dish rims due to high offsets.

#6 ·
The higher profile is good for winter tires, skinnier tires are not. I would get as close to stock width as you can and run some 16s. If people are running 5x110 and 5x114.3 then they are probably using a 10 hole wheel ( not my personal preference but to each their own ).

What part of the world are you in? If you are doing any dry or cleared road driving with some snow driving I would look at bridgestone blizzack tires.

#7 ·
If the wheel is 5x100 only (not dual drilled) it will NOT fit your car. Your car requires the wheels to have a 5x114.3 bolt pattern. Nothing else will fit.

Narrow tires are not good for WINTER as a season, only deep snow and ice. They are inferior in all other winter conditions.

Deep dish wheels on a Subaru look stupid and don't function correctly because the offset is too low.

#8 ·
Rim size

Due to size of brake calipers you are not going to get down to a 16" wheel.
Go to 17X8 if you can find them but the best option would be a 18X8. I'm looking for steels 18X8 that I can paint the same car as car - still looking.:nerd:

#9 ·
Due to size of brake calipers you are not going to get down to a 16" wheel.
Bullshit

You can fit 15" wheels over those brakes if you get the right ones. There are few 16" wheels ever made in that bolt pattern that won't clear your brakes.

Similarly STi 4-pot brembos will technically clear a 16" wheel if it's set up right (which you're not going to find) and have no problems with 17" wheel diameter. Brembo clearance against the wheel spokes is a royal pain, especially if you want decent wheel offset but none of that's an issue with WRX brakes...

Here's an XV with 15" but the caliper is similar:

16" no problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.