• 2 Post By turmic
  • 1 Post By turmic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

DB_VW is an unknown
2015 STi vs 14

Obviously this is a love hate topic.

However I'm looking to buy a new STi this coming spring.

Looks of the 2015? I have no problem with, some people are like blah it looks like a lancer. To them I say - #### you. They share similarities but the lancer is still boxier, doesn't have the nice curves of the new STi, and overall its a mitsubishi.

I like the idea of the more refined chassis, shorter steering, the 6 different differential settings, I like the big wing, gold wheels, and the upgraded more "luxurious" but still race like interior.

What I don't like is the same drivetrain, 305hp 290 torque, and a tad bit heavier! I suppose my big concern is, since there seems to be a lot of hate around those numbers, that subaru will do what it did in 2008, and throw 40 more hp in the 2016 version.

Either way, looking for your guys input. If you don't like the styling, so be it. I like it, but i like the 14's as well. Its more about best bang for your buck.

The one bonus to the same drive train - modifications should be easier to come by (cobb AP for example), and less possibility of the haunted -first production model problems.

STi is my dream car, always wanted a new one. Luckily for me I have the option between two different "new" models.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2014, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I'm happy that Subaru kept the old engine for the '15 STi, instead of a more modern direct injection engine, and I don't mind the styling. Performance- or performance potential- is the primary reason you want one.

There's lots of go-fast parts for the 'old' engine and upgrading it is easy and well understood. There won't be any early introduction issues with the direct injection engine either, that they will likely have with the WRX. The only thing the old engine needs from the factory is some forged pistons, and I haven't heard if they've addressed this issue with the '15.

Subaru has upgraded the STi in other respects instead, in the chassis stiffness and handling with torque vectoring, which is where the current car needed it most - at least compared to the awesome modern Evo. These improvements make the new STi fundamentally better than the old as a performance platform.

The new STi is a better choice than the old one.

2015 Subaru WRX STI First Look - Motor Trend
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#3 Old 01-16-2014, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

DB_VW is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
I'm happy that Subaru kept the old engine for the '15 STi, instead of a more modern direct injection engine, and I don't mind the styling. Performance- or performance potential- is the primary reason you want one.

There's lots of go-fast parts for the 'old' engine and upgrading it is easy and well understood. There won't be any early introduction issues with the direct injection engine either, that they will likely have with the WRX. The only thing the old engine needs from the factory is some forged pistons, and I haven't heard if they've addressed this issue with the '15.

Subaru has upgraded the STi in other respects instead, in the chassis stiffness and handling with torque vectoring, which is where the current car needed it most - at least compared to the awesome modern Evo. These improvements make the new STi fundamentally better than the old as a performance platform.

The new STi is a better choice than the old one.

2015 Subaru WRX STI First Look - Motor Trend
I agree entirely. My overall concern is what happened with the previous gen, 08 WRX was underpowered and in 09 they brought out a whole different beast.
#4 Old 01-16-2014, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I'd just go with the 15, who cares if they decide to put a bigger turbo in a year or two, just do it yourself.
#5 Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

DB_VW is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
I'd just go with the 15, who cares if they decide to put a bigger turbo in a year or two, just do it yourself.

Simple logic, that I guess I quickly overlooked.

I suppose the best thing to look at is the price differences.

Right now on the 14's they have awesome interest rates... Not much of a discount.

15's will be a higher interest rate but for the car ya want I suppose... And I heard the 15's will be coming in 3 trim levels (in canada), as oppose to 2.. Base and loaded.

I like sunroof's and the like... But didn't like the price tag on the tsurugi edition (and the lack of a proper rear wing)
#6 Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Dealers are more flexible at the end of each month, when they are tying up their quota of cars sold for that month.

There are also a few slow times a year when they offer incentives, Mar and Oct I believe. However, a new STi in short supply would not likely attract any incentives anyway.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#7 Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Are you drunk ? They haven't really raised the hp on the 2.5 L STI since it came out in 2004 and all the hate of the blob eyes prompted a hawkeye revision in two years. The WRX got raised because they went with a LGT format change in the 2008 and then didn't half ass it in 2009.
Brockton and arewmors like this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

DB_VW is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Are you drunk ? They haven't really raised the hp on the 2.5 L STI since it came out in 2004 and all the hate of the blob eyes prompted a hawkeye revision in two years. The WRX got raised because they went with a LGT format change in the 2008 and then didn't half ass it in 2009.
And from what I've read this is the single biggest setback in the new gen STi (and the internals - which still haven't been released - ).

So no spec increase in over a decade. Wouldn't that be more reason to revamp it?
#9 Old 01-17-2014, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sammy_wrx is an unknown
Hey guys so im new to the forum and i have been loooking around and reading a lot before post anything. and i didnt want to create a whole new post since my question was kind of the same as Db-vw was asking...

im not interested really in the STI, im more inclined to the WRX, should I go with the 14 or the 15?

i like the mpg of the 15 and that it has more power and 6 speed... vs the 14 that has a lot of aftermarket already...

so if you would buy any of those cars cash, wish one would you buy?
#10 Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It's not the same question. Make your own thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
arewmors likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#11 Old 02-09-2014, 05:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

DaleM is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to DaleM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
You have endless pockets or reality is not your friend here.

1. People who would like to keep a warranty for another 2-4 (power-train in this figure) years but would love more hp would likely care. Assuming they want more HP before 2019.

2. The cost of getting a new turbo and the supporting mods on top of installation if they are not car guys/gals surely care. Oh yeah, let something happen and many taking your advice will cry about item #1 because you have to waste your time fixing it or paying out the ass for a mechanic to repair issues.

Buy a used one since the platform has been flat and the aftermarket is plenty.
#12 Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't think you are aware of what kind of message board you are posting on.

1. Then get another car that has more power, there are plenty of them out there. It could be 2019+ before a bigger turbo is put into a sti at the factory. If you are not going to modify your car then why even bother reading posts from a website called WRX TUNERS?

2. If you are not mechanically inclined then yes, you are going to have to pay to play, just like everyone else, if you want more power without sacrificing your warranty, see #1. What I am saying is if you like the 15 but want more power, don't wait for years hoping the new gens come out with a bigger turbo, just do it yourself.