Subaru WRX Forum banner

2014 wrx hatch or brand new wrx

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ksteve 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been looking at wrx hatches for so long. It has become a dream of mine to buy one, but now I realized what could happen to one of those ej's if over modified. I have heard that the FA20 is a more reliable engine, and I've seen this in life because my older brother has a brz. I'm 16, and starting to save up, I don't expect to have much money by 18 years old, which is when I wanna buy it. My question to you guys is what would be a smarter purchase, getting my dream wrx hatch, or a brand new wrx.

Thanks in advance

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Welcome to our forums,

What you have there is a classic dilemma, If you are currently 16 and planning on buying the WRX in 2 years I would not be at all surprised if Subaru releases the 2017 or 2018 WRX in a hatchback form. ( Ive seen some things suggesting that they are going to be available outside the US next year but I dont know how reliable those websites are )

As far as a smart purchase Im glad to hear that you already know the dangers of incorrectly modifying a car. The smart money is on the new FA20DIT, in 2 years it will have had time to mature a bit and Subaru will surely work out any kinks in the system. I also like the idea of breaking in a car myself and performing my own maintenence that way I know everything has been handled correctly since day 1. There is no warranty on earth like doing your own work and driving a car from the day its born.

That said I understand the longing for a particular body style and Im sure there will still be a few out there that haven't been tinkered with too much. My mother in laws for example, 2012 WRX, No mods at all 35k miles and nothing done but the standard maintenance. If you can find a single owner widebody driven by an adult you should be in a good spot, but dont expect to save a ton of money buying a used one. WRXs hold their value exceptionally well.

Hope that helps

#6 ·
just my 2cents, but in 2 years time, you could probably afford a used 2015 brz. keep that in mind

2 years is a long time for a decision like this. by that time you might want to drop a 2.0L JDM STI engine into a wagon? which is not as expensinve as you think when compared to buying a new car. you might even get a promotion or better job and thus have more money saved.

all that being said, dont settle on something to just have something. you'll hate it and regret it. you'll even find things to hate about it just becuase its not the one u wanted... if you want your dream hatch, maybe save till your 19 and get it. you'll be much happier :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.