2013 Wrx Owners - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kaleisi is an unknown
Got it. The more you change stuff the more your mpgs depend on your right foot. Something is definitely wrong here, though. I just did about 45 miles on the highway, fifth gear, 2700 rpm, 65 mph, all the way, and still my average mpg would not go above 19.8...That's my ceiling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What are you going off of?

The only true way to determine fuel useage is filling up and resetting your tripometer and driving a couple/few days and then refilling up and compare the mileage to the amt of fuel you put in. The on board garbage is never exact.

From my experience on many other cars.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#18 Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kaleisi is an unknown
You're right. Simple math never fails.
#19 Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleisi View Post
Got it. The more you change stuff the more your mpgs depend on your right foot. Something is definitely wrong here, though. I just did about 45 miles on the highway, fifth gear, 2700 rpm, 65 mph, all the way, and still my average mpg would not go above 19.8...That's my ceiling.
Did you reset the trip meter? Pretty sure it keeps a running total on the trip A setting. That 19.8 will be your average for ALL your miles, not just your 45. If your injectors are changed the factory gauge will be worthless since it gets its mpg off fuel injector pulse width. Since larger injectors need scaled back you'll actually start to show 30-40-50mpg on the gauge. As long as the injectors are factory and trip is reset the gauge is almost 100% correct.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#20 Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kaleisi is an unknown
Haven't reset the odometer since I bought the car 2 months ago. Never mind the injectors;
I'm nowhere near that level of modification. I will try your suggestion. Thanks!
#21 Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleisi View Post
I almost forgot:

I also have a minor compliant about the shifter. Reverse is notchy and I often have trouble getting the shifter into gear. This happens with reverse only, and I find myself making two or three attempts before it "sticks". I don't think it's me; been driving manuals all my life. Any ideas?
I have the same problem. Only with reverse but def been driving me crazy since buying mine a month ago. Been driving manual my whole life as well. Good to know I'm not the only one lol! Possible TSB?!

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#22 Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

RINGY91 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
I have the same problem. Only with reverse but def been driving me crazy since buying mine a month ago. Been driving manual my whole life as well. Good to know I'm not the only one lol! Possible TSB?!

Hey Riot I have the same issue you just have to do the clutch trick hahah

Kalesis that guy is right resetting it will help out because the reading could just be stuck there. I reset mine every 4 or so tanks just too see where I'm at or before i go for a long trip.
#23 Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Yeah I'll def try that from now on. Sucks to have to do but is what it is....lol

#24 Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

RINGY91 is an unknown
hey it could be worse my old mustang a cable snapped and all i have was drive in park hahah. (didn't help i was facing a wall when i figured that out)
#25 Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

hark is an unknown
In referance to the reverse problem, the reverse gear isnt syncronized. That means when you push in the clutch reverse gear will not automaticaly match the engine revs, othewise you could shift into R @ 70 mph!!! try putting the cluth on the floor to engage the clutch brake, (this will stop all gear movement in the gear box) then push the stick up aganst reverse then slightly let of the clutch to get the gears spinning, it should drop right in every time
#26 Old 12-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Garage
That's exactly what I kinda figured out over the last couple days trying a few diff tricks Hark. Letting off the clutch just slightly seems to work well. Is this something the dealer should fix?? Not a huge deal to me but just sayin...kind of sucks. Seems to not go into gear without the tricks at least 50% of the time. Sounds excessive imo

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kaleisi is an unknown
Ok, so re-setting the trip odometer works for figuring out average mpg at present. If you let the trip counter run for too long, the computer aggregates too much data and inevitably average mpg will be right around 19-20 if your driving is a combination of city and highway. As Synolimit suggested, I reset the trip counter on the highway and it showed 32 mpg at 2500 rpm in fifth gear. Problem solved.
Reverse continues to be an issue, though, but it has gotten better now that break-in is done and over. But the problem is not gone, and it can happen on a flat road, full stop, with the engine warm. My first service is at 3000 miles, so I will definitely bring this up then.
Be safe and happy holidays.
#28 Old 12-24-2012, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

RINGY91 is an unknown
you too happy holidays