Subaru WRX Forum banner

2013 Wrx Owners

6K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  RINGY91 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok to start I bought a new si 4 months ago and hate it . I went to buy a wrx and was turned down twice for a loan . Don't have established credit but make 50k a year but that's another story lol. I am going to trade my si in as soon as I can may have to wait a couple more months . My question is for 2013 owners is thier any problems with this model year and if so what . Another question is do you enjoy it and how's your mpg . O and should I wait for a 2014/2015. Saw some articles about a change to the model . All your input would be great . Thanks

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#2 ·
In stock form, your MPG should at least be in the low to mid 20's. Slightly modified, lower 20's. Decently modified, upper teens to lower 20's. Obviously, it depends how you drive the car.

Since 2014 is supposed to be the first model of the fourth generation, I'd either go with the 2013 or 2015.

#4 ·
It all depends on your right foot. The MPGs that is. I can get 22 avg if I keep my foot out of it. My Cobb AP says I get as low as 8 MPG when I'm at WOT. lol. Hell, I was avg'ing around 30 MPG on the highway the one time with my current set-up.

#5 ·
Yeah right now mine is low for a few reasons,
1. I am not used to the car yet
2. Mostly city driving
3. Left foot is broken, and in a cast so it REALLY hard to get a feel for the right amount of clutch needed.
4. Even though I am breaking the car in still, I still have a lil fun. I just haven't had any WOT time yet. haha

#6 ·
Low MPG

Hello everyone.
I just got my 2013 WRX Sedan a little over a month ago and I love it. I used to drive a 2009 Mazdaspeed and the difference is huge. The WRX, completely stock, simply feels more solid, better planted, and the boxer engine doesn't stress as much when pushed. My only concern is mpg's, specially now that I read this thread. I know I didn't exactly buy a Prius, but according to my car's display, I can't seem to go any higher that 19.5 mpg. This is a combination of mostly city and highway driving, and I just got out of the break-in period, so it's not like I'm racing from light to light (although, the other day, I smoked a G37 coupe off the green light and that was pretty sweet). Is this normal? It feels low to me. Any comments/suggestions?

#7 ·
I almost forgot:

I also have a minor compliant about the shifter. Reverse is notchy and I often have trouble getting the shifter into gear. This happens with reverse only, and I find myself making two or three attempts before it "sticks". I don't think it's me; been driving manuals all my life. Any ideas?

#9 ·
Thanks for the tip. I also found that if I push it into fifth first, and then down into reverse, without releasing the clutch, it will go into gear more often than not. Still, I shouldn't have to come up with this things to do something as simple as putting my car in reverse.
Any ideas about the gas mileage?

#10 ·
Don't drive in reverse ahaha :p just messin bud. About the gas millage that dose seem a bit low for a stock wrx. When on the highway to you stay at the same speed? or do you get on it to pass then slow down? City driving sucks my millage down to 19 but once im on back roads i go right back up to 24.3 highest ever 30.9.

#12 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys. My driving is mostly city, and right now the mpgs are sitting at about 19.5. If I take the highway for about 15-20 miles, cruising around 65-70, with the occasional "throttle tap", it'll go up to 19.9, but that's as high as I have seen it. Again, I'm not being to aggressive here: I usually shift at or below 3000 rpm, and I keep the engine around there on the highway. I guess I'll bring this up to the service guys.
Ringy: I'll try to live without reverse and let you know how it goes.
iownit: I feel your loss, buddy. We've been pretty lucky here in South FL in recent years, but it's only a matter of time before another storm comes around to remind us of who is really in charge on this little planet of ours.

#15 ·
only if you hammer it everywhere. the more parts you add the better your MPG gets because you're opening everything up and taking stress and back pressure off of things. but with the added power you are going to want to push it from every start and the highway etc so forget MPG.

#16 ·
Got it. The more you change stuff the more your mpgs depend on your right foot. Something is definitely wrong here, though. I just did about 45 miles on the highway, fifth gear, 2700 rpm, 65 mph, all the way, and still my average mpg would not go above 19.8...That's my ceiling.

#19 ·
Did you reset the trip meter? Pretty sure it keeps a running total on the trip A setting. That 19.8 will be your average for ALL your miles, not just your 45. If your injectors are changed the factory gauge will be worthless since it gets its mpg off fuel injector pulse width. Since larger injectors need scaled back you'll actually start to show 30-40-50mpg on the gauge. As long as the injectors are factory and trip is reset the gauge is almost 100% correct.

#17 ·
What are you going off of?

The only true way to determine fuel useage is filling up and resetting your tripometer and driving a couple/few days and then refilling up and compare the mileage to the amt of fuel you put in. The on board garbage is never exact.

From my experience on many other cars.

#25 ·
In referance to the reverse problem, the reverse gear isnt syncronized. That means when you push in the clutch reverse gear will not automaticaly match the engine revs, othewise you could shift into R @ 70 mph!!! try putting the cluth on the floor to engage the clutch brake, (this will stop all gear movement in the gear box) then push the stick up aganst reverse then slightly let of the clutch to get the gears spinning, it should drop right in every time

#26 ·
That's exactly what I kinda figured out over the last couple days trying a few diff tricks Hark. Letting off the clutch just slightly seems to work well. Is this something the dealer should fix?? Not a huge deal to me but just sayin...kind of sucks. Seems to not go into gear without the tricks at least 50% of the time. Sounds excessive imo

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
Ok, so re-setting the trip odometer works for figuring out average mpg at present. If you let the trip counter run for too long, the computer aggregates too much data and inevitably average mpg will be right around 19-20 if your driving is a combination of city and highway. As Synolimit suggested, I reset the trip counter on the highway and it showed 32 mpg at 2500 rpm in fifth gear. Problem solved.
Reverse continues to be an issue, though, but it has gotten better now that break-in is done and over. But the problem is not gone, and it can happen on a flat road, full stop, with the engine warm. My first service is at 3000 miles, so I will definitely bring this up then.
Be safe and happy holidays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.