2013 wrx limited sedan ruined? - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Robb2577 is an unknown
2013 wrx limited sedan ruined?

So I bought my 2013 subaru wrx back in November. I went yesterday to get my first service done at 3200 miles(oil change, multi point inspection, etc) at the dealer I purchased it from. About 40 miles later I was driving up I-75 north and the oil light came on. Before I could get to the next exit, the check engine and battery lights came on. The car started making really weird noises and as I was trying to get over to the side of the road I lost power steering and power brakes and engine shut off. Had to wait an hour and a half for a tow truck to show up and towed the car to the dealer I purchased it from. That is where I noticed the whole back of the car was covered in oil and oil was all underneath the car and exhaust system. Is my car ruined and if so, since it is a month and a half old, is it unreasonable to want the dealership to replace the car with a new one? I don't want a brand new car with a different motor that who else knows what else may be wrong that we don't even know about yet. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

horrorbiz is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb2577 View Post
So I bought my 2013 subaru wrx back in November. I went yesterday to get my first service done at 3200 miles(oil change, multi point inspection, etc) at the dealer I purchased it from. About 40 miles later I was driving up I-75 north and the oil light came on. Before I could get to the next exit, the check engine and battery lights came on. The car started making really weird noises and as I was trying to get over to the side of the road I lost power steering and power brakes and engine shut off. Had to wait an hour and a half for a tow truck to show up and towed the car to the dealer I purchased it from. That is where I noticed the whole back of the car was covered in oil and oil was all underneath the car and exhaust system. Is my car ruined and if so, since it is a month and a half old, is it unreasonable to want the dealership to replace the car with a new one? I don't want a brand new car with a different motor that who else knows what else may be wrong that we don't even know about yet. Any thoughts?
You're car is obviously still under warranty... they'll likely put you in a free rental car while they replace your engine with a new one.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
since it is a month and a half old, is it unreasonable to want the dealership to replace the car with a new one? I don't want a brand new car with a different motor that who else knows what else may be wrong that we don't even know about yet. Any thoughts?
You're not getting a new car as it's not a lemon at this point. The engine is just going to be replaced or rebuilt.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sounds like a service tech didn't tighten the drain plug enough, or the gasket from the old filter stuck to the block and they didn't notice.

Unfortunately I'd say it's a crappy tech issue, not a bad engine issue. I would settle for nothing less than a brand new long block including all accessories (mainly the turbo). If the engine was run out of oil like you describe there are specs of bearings everywhere the oil goes.

-Chris
post #5 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
It'll be under warranty. Working at a dealership. When that tech sees that car getting towed in he will most likely shit his pants.. The dealership should put you in a rental and a brand new motor plus turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
post #6 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Robb2577 is an unknown
Yes, they have given me a loaner and were supposed to look at it first thing this morning. I havent heard anything yet and I'm sure the tech probably did shit his pants when he saw it sitting there lol. I hear people saying that they may just replace the motor and turbo but I don't really want that. I bought a NEW car so that I wouldn't have any maintenance issues. Another thing is that if they just replace the motor, the value of the car surely isnt the same. I'm patiently waiting to hear what they have to say.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah being that it was there mess up.you should be able to tell them what you want

post #8 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Another thing is that if they just replace the motor, the value of the car surely isnt the same.
That would only be true if it was your fault it blew.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Robb2577 is an unknown
Update.. Dealer called and informed me that the drain plug was not put back on correctly and motor is done for. Still in negotations on how to resolve problem.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hold your ground with wanting a brand new motor and turbo

post #11 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Robb2577 is an unknown
Update again. Subaru of Kennesaw admitted fault and made it right. After speaking with the GM he agreed to give me a new WRX. They had a brand new blue pearl limited sedan on the lot with 20 miles on it and the same features as my black one did and gave it to me for the same as I spent on the black one. Also, since I had not made my first payment they paid off that loan and started me another one that extended my first payment until Feb 21st. These guys are great and even though an unfortunate event ruined the first car, they were very professional and am more than pleased with the service that I have received.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Rock on!!! I love hearing this stuff.

One thing to watch for, When I got my car it had 53mi on it. there were only 3 bugeyes on the lot and the 04s were starting to come in. Everybody and there brothers nephews cousin had a test drive in it. And they were not kind to the clutch. So in the first 2000mi it needed a new one.

They gave me a new clutch no questions asked.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Robb2577 is an unknown
Thanks for the heads up but this one only had about 8 miles on it and it was in the showroom and not outside on the lot so i shouldnt have that problem.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Damn glad it turned out good actually a lot better then I thought it would

post #15 of 21 Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Good deal. I want a cookie for guessing right.

Time to update your profile pic.

-Chris