Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   2013 wrx coilovers (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/2013-wrx-coilovers-33497/)

Ce-royale 01-16-2013 09:10 PM

2013 wrx coilovers

I am trying to figure out what are the best coilovers out there for the set up I want.
I have a 2013 wrx sedan, street car. I want an aggressive off set, in the future I'm looking to run 18 inch rim, 10" with. I basically want the best coilovers for a very low drop what do guys recommend? Thanks for the help in advance.

brfatal 01-16-2013 09:21 PM

[quote=Ce-royale;289790]I am trying to figure out what are the best coilovers out there for the set up I want.
I have a 2013 wrx sedan, street car. I want an aggressive off set, in the future I'm looking to run 18 inch rim, 10" with. I basically want the best coilovers for a very low drop what do guys recommend? Thanks for the help in advance.[/quote]

Here we go:

1. It's a misconception that coilovers are good for slamming cars. This is [COLOR="Red"]FALSE[/COLOR]. Riding the bump stops on coilovers will kill them just as it will the stock struts. You still need room for travel if you exact them to last, handle, or ride with any decency.

2. What you are opting to do will kill the handling of the car anyways. Low offsets can be very detrimental to the handling of a car, from both a performance and daily driver's mannerism perspective.

3. You won't find a lot of support for what you want to do to your car within the Subaru community as their are more purists than whatever you want to call stancing out your car is.

Ce-royale 01-16-2013 11:11 PM

Cool story bro, but Can anyone recommend me with a good pair of coilovers for my car? :0)

man show 01-17-2013 12:37 AM

:: shrug :: BC BR's, perhaps?

brfatal 01-17-2013 12:37 AM

JRZ 3 Ways.

pzr2874 01-17-2013 05:34 AM

^ LOL.... Sell a kidney

If JUST for stance and an occasional track day/auto-x BC's will do "ok".

dirtydeeds02 01-17-2013 06:10 AM

Destroying a brand new car like that makes me wanna cry. The car rides and handles so well stock its almost a sin.

man show 01-17-2013 08:00 AM

Our apologies Ce-royale, but you've brought up a touchy subject

VANY 01-17-2013 01:47 PM

Same page here..

[quote=Ce-royale;289795]Cool story bro, but Can anyone recommend me with a good pair of coilovers for my car? :0)[/quote]

Im in the hunt as well, so far im leaning towards BC with an upgraded springs, feels like riding stock as what i've been seeing through my investigation. You just have shed a few more $$$...:cool:

brfatal 01-17-2013 02:08 PM

[quote=VANY;289822]Im in the hunt as well, so far im leaning towards BC with an upgraded springs, feels like riding stock as what i've been seeing through my investigation. You just have shed a few more $$$...:cool:[/quote]

Might want to investigate a little more. ;)

The only people that buy them are those who order custom rates and custom valving that are in for the no-questions-asked warranty for when they fail, or those who don't know anything about proper coilover design. BC coilovers are bottom of the barrel garbage. They are thrown together from random pieces from a parts bin with no R&D money spent. The valving does not match the springs OTS springs or the Swift upgrades and it reduces lifespan, handling, and causes a bouncy ride.

There is nothing in that price range worth getting. Bump your budget to +$1,500 for GD WRXs or +$1,800 for newer models and then you can ask about some good choices are, abiet for a street car there really are none. Unless you do some type of competitive racing where you can out drive a set of struts and springs, then it's just money wasted and extra hassle (maintenance, winter care, and rebuild intervals) created.

VANY 01-17-2013 02:25 PM

[quote=brfatal;289823]Might want to investigate a little more. ;)

The only people that buy them are those who order custom rates and custom valving that are in for the no-questions-asked warranty for when they fail, or those who don't know anything about proper coilover design. BC coilovers are bottom of the barrel garbage. They are thrown together from random pieces from a parts bin with no R&D money spent. The valving does not match the springs OTS springs or the Swift upgrades and it reduces lifespan, handling, and causes a bouncy ride.

There is nothing in that price range worth getting. Bump your budget to +$1,500 for GD WRXs or +$1,800 for newer models and then you can ask about some good choices are, abiet for a street car there really are none. Unless you do some type of competitive racing where you can out drive a set of struts and springs, then it's just money wasted and extra hassle (maintenance, winter care, and rebuild intervals) created.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, this is why im not rushing to this. Im waiting til the weather gets better out there until i start this mod. I definitely need this kind of suggestions to see what really is the best out there but, reasonable! So, you recommend GD WRX's? what site should I go? coz, the BC that Ive mentioned previously is from Circuit motorsport with the Swift upgrade. throw me some more tips, if you dont mind?! thanks bro!

Ce-royale 01-17-2013 02:50 PM

What do you guys think about the tein coilovers?

brfatal 01-17-2013 04:46 PM

Teins are not valved correctly either. They are made with Japanese roads in mind, not crappy American roads. Ride a common complaint. And they rust more readily than just about anything out there.

[quote=VANY;289826]Thanks for the heads up, this is why im not rushing to this. Im waiting til the weather gets better out there until i start this mod. I definitely need this kind of suggestions to see what really is the best out there but, reasonable! So, you recommend GD WRX's? what site should I go? coz, the BC that Ive mentioned previously is from Circuit motorsport with the Swift upgrade. throw me some more tips, if you dont mind?! thanks bro![/quote]

A GD is a 2002-2007 Impreza.

VANY 01-17-2013 09:37 PM

[quote=brfatal;289834]Teins are not valved correctly either. They are made with Japanese roads in mind, not crappy American roads. Ride a common complaint. And they rust more readily than just about anything out there.

A GD is a 2002-2007 Impreza.[/quote]

I was actually looking at GD's but, comparing the price difference from the BC's.. i got skeptical why is it 50% more cheaper?! :eek:

BLAZE2099 01-17-2013 09:55 PM

GD???
[url=http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza]Subaru Impreza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
Bc is a brand, GD is a body style/platform