2011 wrx hatch - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ruso

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Justin1

2011 wrx hatch

Hey everybody after years of debating getting one of these cars my wife and i are finally pulling the trigger. However her dad sells chevys, he is a little bird in her ear telling her how awful an idea this is and how expensive it costs and how they arent reliable. The car im looking at has 1 owner, no mods, 2011, immaculate carfax and overall is incredibly clean it has 50k miles and all the service records. Can you guys give me some examples of reliability, or even bad examples ive read the sticky talking about a dude ripping the gears in his tranny and i understand things like this happen, but what are your guys experience with these. I love the cars and i dont think anything could change my mind i just want her to be as in love with them as i am.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ruso is more helpful than not
Garage
Welcome aboard,

If you follow all maintenance/service schedules, change oil 2,500-3,000 miles (after all it is a sensitive turbocharged vehicle), drive it in a safe way (downshift to accelerate, stay off the rev limiter, shift/downshift appropriately and smoothly) and MOST importantly, don't modify your car...
You will have a very reliable car.

The service on it is fairly costly, as to be expected on a performance machine.

I chuckled when I read a Chevy dealer talking about reliability :-D.

You'll be fine, get the car checked out and run a compression/leak down test to make sure it was not modified before and engine is in good health. BTW Subaru Dealerships perform pre-sale inspections for a reasonable cost.
RoboTuner likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-11-2017, 10:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Like Ruso said, all good places to start. Also you still some time on the original warranty if I'm not mistaken (until 60k/6years or is it 5?)

The whole bs about the 5MT breaking is mostly from people who not only don't know who to drive but also abuse the living piss out of the car (even stock) and wonder why things fail. These rumors were mostly about the 02-05 (more so the 02-03 but blah blah I own one and psshhh...drama), and those who break them are constantly launching, granny shifting, and other abusive driving styles are the real factor. You can ruin the STi 6MT too, a buddy is complaining about his syncros going under 100k, but he's not the original owner and he doesn't rev match and just granny shifts so you can see why the syncros are going lol. Just don't beat the piss out of a stock vehicle and you'll be fine.

If you want to get a reaction from your father in-law, next time he wants to say something about reliability...ask him about the Corvettes and not only the automatics overheating and failing on the street/track and Chevy admitting to it, but also ask about the dry sump oiling system failing and seizing up the engine in under 15k miles on a stock vehicle I went to visit a buddy of mine at the dealer he worked at and they had 17 still waiting for new engines within the first 3 months after they came out.

All in all, the wrx can do pretty much whatever you throw at it, if you're smart about how you go about the situation. If you want more power, go forged and allow the engine to heat cycle once or twice before driving. If you want the 5MT to last with LOTS of power (above 350whp) then stay away from ACT clutches (the XTSS kit is known for blowing master cylinders/TOBs as well as introducing massive amounts of shock load to the transmission), other than that you can always get blast plates but those are more for above 400whp/daily launches.