2009 wrx bolt on turbo upgrade? - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By titter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-28-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jorge09 is an unknown
2009 wrx bolt on turbo upgrade?

New here, so sorry in advanced. Quick backround: I have a 09 wrx that I bought already modified. The dealer said it had $10,000 worth of upgrades on the car (which I believe bcause the previous owner was a rich kid lol). As far as I can see, the car has a Perrin CBE, Perrin CAI, Perrin pulley, Perrin downpipe, Perrin BOV and some aftermarket EBC, not to sure on the brand (just talking about engine mods). Recently I got a rod knock due to boost creep I believe. Its currently at HMS where its getting a "stage 3" short block with forged rods and pistons. Also is getting the process west verticooler top mount and a grimmspeed uppipe with a EWG. Planning on the cobb flex fuel kit with fuel pump and probably 1300cc injectors. To get to the point, what direct bolt on turbo would get me in the high 300's hopefully low-mid 400whp?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-28-2017, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
on E85 these turbos can push 400+whp with your described setup.

Blouch Dominator 1.5XTR
Garrett GTX 3076R
Borg Warner EFR 7163

there are a few dozen more that can do it. but those are my top 3 pics. they can all be had in stock loation if you find the right housing.

turbo selection can be tricky, and what you ask has dozen of variables. but to generalize things, you will need at least a 47lbs/min turbo to hit 400+whp on E85 in a 2.5L

the Gen 2 Garrett turbos are absolutely amazing but i havent seen enough data to provide a recommendation for your setup. pretty much from what im told, a step down will provide the same power as its bigger brother. ie: gen 2 gtx2867r pushes as much as a gen 1 gtx3071r but spools quick since its a 28 series.
RoboTuner likes this.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2017, 11:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I second the Blouch line of turbos, specifically the 1.5DOM or the 2.5DOM. They're stock location and if you don't have the money for a Garrett check them out. The 1.5DOM will get you super close to your E85 whp goal if not maybe more, FYI it was designed around the 2.0l engine so if you find yourself wanting a bit more spool and power down low and don't mind sacrificing some top end power (above 6Kish) then stick with the 8cm hotside, but if you want more top end either check out their 10cm hotside or the 8cm 2.5DOM as it flows more and is called the Polka Pickle for a reason lol. Then again who doesn't want a Garrett?

Seeing as you're going EWG that will help you spool sooner so you could go slightly bigger on the turbo. What do you plan on doing with the car? DD, track/weekend toy?

post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2017, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jorge09 is an unknown
I personally was also thinking Blouch, more specifically the 2.5 DOM with the 8cm hot side. Although my tuner recommended the FP green? its half the price of the 2.5 and seems to get around the same results? other then not being ball bearing, is there any cons of that turbo? or should just stick with the Blouch line turbos

Also this will currently be my DD and weekend toy.. and hopefully in the future it'll see some track time. Thanks for the feed back!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Only issue with FP turbos is they hotside is generally very large and they don't spool well at all. If you DD this you might not be happy when full boost is about 5-5500RPM and only lasts for 1500RPM. Reasons for the DOMs are they are more appropriately sized for smaller engines like our EJs, the 2.5dom should boost around 4-4500RPM if you were still IWG. The 2.5L paired with the 1.5 and EWG should boost around 3500-4kRPM if your injectors can support it and you make use of your AVCS. Generally if you have EWG you can use a smaller hotside for better spool and still have good top end compared to IWG and a larger hotside (idk why I said the opposite in my last post).

For a DD with gobs of streetable power (not lagging past 4500RPM w/ 7k redline) I would highly recommend EWG with 8cm hotside, and at least the 1.5DOM. If 2.0L/1.5DOM are hitting full boost by 4k (EWG/Inj/8cm/no AVCS) then I'd say you should boost even sooner, but if you would rather have more highway fun, 10cm hotsides are what you'll want (especially if you do headwork down the road) just remember..larger hotsides spool later.

Numbers are just that, numbers. A mustang dyno is called a heartbreaker dyno for a reason, they show lower/truer numbers. What you need to remember is how soon you spool up and how long you can hold it SAFELY. FPs make big power late, at a lower cost. Do you want high numbers at the sacrifice of the low end powerband (430whp @5500RPM-7000RPM), or do you want 20-40 peak whp less but more power all around (390whp/390+wtq @3800RPM-6800RPM)?

Choose 2: Fast:Reliable:Cheap