Is a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX TR for $17995 a good deal? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Britishnate is an unknown
Is a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX TR for $17995 a good deal?

I have been offered the above deal for a white 2007 WRX with 33800 miles...

I am a complete newbie, is that a good deal, it has an intake and exhaust on it, they say its 1 owner from new....

Anything I should look out for in particular?

Thanks

Here are some pictures...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 12:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Take a peek just to the left and below the intercooler - at the turbo, itself. If there is an aftermarket downpipe attached to it, make sure there is/was some type of Stage 2 tune on it, or at least make sure you'll be able to get a Stage 2 tune on it relatively quickly after you purchase the car.

If the stock turbo heat shield is still in place, none of the bolts holding it on look like they've ever been touched, and the heat shield itself is not obviously physically cut, you're probably in good shape. If there are signs of tampering, you're probably still ok - just know that at one point the car probably had an aftermarket downpipe on it and was hopefully flashed with some type of Stage 2 tune. If there is an aftermarket downpipe on the car, you're probably still ok as long as you can flash the ecu to some type of Stage 2 tune relatively soon after you purchase the car.

Other than that, it looks like you've found a pretty clean car. Have you been able to test drive it yet? How does she ride?

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Take a peek just to the left and below the intercooler - at the turbo, itself. If there is an aftermarket downpipe attached to it, make sure there is/was some type of Stage 2 tune on it, or at least make sure you'll be able to get a Stage 2 tune on it relatively quickly after you purchase the car.

If the stock turbo heat shield is still in place, none of the bolts holding it on look like they've ever been touched, and the heat shield itself is not obviously physically cut, you're probably in good shape. If there are signs of tampering, you're probably still ok - just know that at one point the car probably had an aftermarket downpipe on it and was hopefully flashed with some type of Stage 2 tune. If there is an aftermarket downpipe on the car, you're probably still ok as long as you can flash the ecu to some type of Stage 2 tune relatively soon after you purchase the car.

Other than that, it looks like you've found a pretty clean car. Have you been able to test drive it yet? How does she ride?
I am going to try to get over there and check it out tomorrow or saturday, if this all works out this will be my first wrx, i am excited!!
post #4 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Check inside the door jams for tape lines, underneath the hood for the same. Also look at the bolts on the hood bracket and under the hood at the fender bolts. If they are scuffed and have left marks, then they've clearly. Been moved, most likely for paint and body work.

If she passes quality check, id say killer price, especially for white.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #5 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Check inside the door jams for tape lines, underneath the hood for the same. Also look at the bolts on the hood bracket and under the hood at the fender bolts. If they are scuffed and have left marks, then they've clearly. Been moved, most likely for paint and body work.

If she passes quality check, id say killer price, especially for white.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #6 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Bah...

get it, swap that hideous wing for a limited lip, dump it on Enkei RPF1's and enjoy life!

I do know that the intake filter is either not the SPT one that comes with the kit or it has been recharged, none of which are bad things...

Clean car!
post #7 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti View Post
Bah...

get it, swap that hideous wing for a limited lip, dump it on Enkei RPF1's and enjoy life!

I do know that the intake filter is either not the SPT one that comes with the kit or it has been recharged, none of which are bad things...

Clean car!
How much is the limited lip? Is that what you have on your car? is it a direct replacement?
post #8 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Fuapiti has the stock WRX wing. There are several vendors on line that sell the limited lip. Just google it (Im pretty sure MachV sells it).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #9 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Fuapiti has the stock WRX wing. There are several vendors on line that sell the limited lip. Just google it (Im pretty sure MachV sells it).
Thanks, honestly i think i want something in between whats on it and the limited one.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Yep i have the regular WRX wing... which I don't love but I don't hate either, I have just managed to live with it for almost 6 years now... I would love to swap it for the limited lip but I have concentrated my efforts in other areas.

The Limited lip usually goes for aound 200 bucks and comes painted in pearl white and gray, so add to that the price of color matching it and sealing off the wholes on your trunk and spraying it also... but look at it from the bright side, you'll end up with one nice looking car and you'll be able to get some money back when you sell the STi wing...
post #11 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti View Post
Yep i have the regular WRX wing... which I don't love but I don't hate either, I have just managed to live with it for almost 6 years now... I would love to swap it for the limited lip but I have concentrated my efforts in other areas.

The Limited lip usually goes for aound 200 bucks and comes painted in pearl white and gray, so add to that the price of color matching it and sealing off the wholes on your trunk and spraying it also... but look at it from the bright side, you'll end up with one nice looking car and you'll be able to get some money back when you sell the STi wing...
Yeah it would have to be something i did down the road, lets see if I can get approved and buy it first
post #12 of 27 Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
that engine picture's taken on an angle for a reason. The heatshield is probably gone. The downpipe is probably not stock which makes you want to know what kind of TUNE is on it. Make sure you check the gears well...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #13 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That filter should be fine. Mine looks the same. My subaru tech said the new filters can be cleaned with a k&n kit.

keep in mind what blue book for the car is. call some subaru dealers and ask them what they'd buy it for.

Also, that car was probably 22k new, and I bet you could get a 10 for very cheap. I got mine for 21k new. With the lower rates subaru had your payment would probably be the same.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #14 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
front ends been taken off obviously, not saying thats a bad thing but someone added thoughs foglight. to me if someone been taking off body work, other things have been done. not saying thats a bad thing either, my car has a ton done and runs like a champ. get more pics, and post them!

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #15 of 27 Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
just because it has the fogs doesn't mean the front end has been removed, you only need to pull the grill out...

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt