2006 strength of the 5 speed tranny? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-23-2013, 11:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

sofakingchill2 is an unknown
Garage
2006 strength of the 5 speed tranny?

I am trying to buy a 2006 WRX, it has the 2.5 liter motor in it pushin 460HP to the wheels. my Question is will that tranny hold the power or will it break? because I heard rumor about some 5 speed trannys by Subaru having "glass transmissons". so will the 5 speed tranny hold the power is my question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-23-2013, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
2 words...stay away unless they have documentation of it being upgraded

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#3 Old 12-23-2013, 12:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
There is some concern about the power claims of that motor, given the general limitations of the EJ motors, but that kind of power would be hard on any tranny, and the WRX one is not as tough as the STi tranny.

Would you please show us some car and engine bay pictures, and list some build details about the motor in the car you are considering purchasing, and we'll provide some helpful comments.

Anything you can get from the seller will be helpful; any weblink, upgraded parts list, who fitted them, tuned the WRX, etc.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#4 Old 12-23-2013, 02:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
No....

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 12-23-2013, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

sofakingchill2 is an unknown
Garage
he said the gears are forged
#6 Old 12-24-2013, 03:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
So....It's not the gears so much as it is the casing that worries me. The 5 speed case is very weak and when you apply a bunch of torque it can crack the case, which in turn makes the trans go bad...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#7 Old 12-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Shockload (banging gears, launching, power shifting)is what usually hurts transmissions.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#8 Old 12-25-2013, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
And case flex...is the problem he'll still have at this rate. Like Keith is talking about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 12-25-2013, 02:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Claythrow is an unknown
The 5 speed is glass compared to the 6. It's good if you use a stock clutch to 400hp max. Using a stock clutch makes that the weak point. But 400hp with a 5 tranny you are really pushing it.

I wouldn't touch that car without all the paperwork of parts & labor. Anyone who is going to do that kind of work to a car is going to save that stuff for future resale. Anyone can say there is forged pistons, manley rods, acl bearings, forged crank etc. They need to prove it.

I'm looking at a car right now, that I have thoroughly vetted every part claimed to be in the car. I've seen all the receipts, with the costs & there is not much I can't verify. The forged pistons knock a little when first started, I can see the upgraded axles, drive shaft, FMIC, rotated turbo, headers exhaust etc. Even the cams claimed to be upgraded I can tell they are not stock.

If this guy has this stuff, verify what you can. If he is legit he will have receipts, at a certain point you will have to take his word for it.

However, as regards the 5 speed, running 460...I wouldn't go near that. Not even with your money. Try to resist, something else will come along...thats my opinion anyway.

For a general rule of thumb, in my opinion, the 5's are safe to 300 if you aren't launching them. 350 if you are not hard on them. 400 is pushing it no matter what. 460, leave it alone.

I'd also want to see the Dyno showing that 460. Forged gears have nothing to do with the entire rest of the transmission. Forged gears, ok, that would be great, but I can assure you it won't be long until you have "forged" gears just spilling out of the bottom of your car.

There is a reason people buy the STI's. Every test of the years I have seen, the WRX is faster in a drag, faster on the track, just slightly quicker in general. The STI, even if slightly slower in every aspect, is worth it for the tranny alone.

I've built 3 "built" WRX's, building a 4th now, a hardcore track version. But the STI has everything on the WRX in terms of strength, upgradability, & potential. Even though I still work on both cars, mostly rex's, the best thing I ever did was wait for an STI. You won't be going back to a WRX I bet. The whole car is just more substantial.

I'd rather a stock STI, than a built WRX, thats how I personally feel. A couple inexpensive mods & you can have a 400hp STI you don't have to worry about breaking. I've seen them just absolutely thrashed at 600hp with stock trannies, axles, drive shaft, difs, etc. & they hold up pretty damned well. A 400whp STI will be a safe ride.
#10 Old 12-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I would also use a stock sti trans before a built wrx though. If I had my choice.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!

Last edited by boo-key bear; 12-25-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: To avoid debate.
#11 Old 12-25-2013, 09:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
And case flex...is the problem he'll still have at this rate. Like Keith is talking about.

Please, like me saying anything here means anything to anyone...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 12-26-2013, 09:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingchill2 View Post
he said the gears are forged

Guy who is selling it is clearly not the one who built it. Who knows what he is wrong about on what's in the car? Avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claythrow View Post
The 5 speed is glass compared to the 6. It's good if you use a stock clutch to 400hp max. Using a stock clutch makes that the weak point. But 400hp with a 5 tranny you are really pushing it.
No factory Subaru will ever hold 400 whp driven like a 400 whp car will be on a stock clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claythrow View Post
I'd rather a stock STI, than a built WRX, thats how I personally feel. A couple inexpensive mods & you can have a 400hp STI you don't have to worry about breaking. I've seen them just absolutely thrashed at 600hp with stock trannies, axles, drive shaft, difs, etc. & they hold up pretty damned well. A 400whp STI will be a safe ride.
Near everything about this is wrong. At 600 whp you better have an upgraded driveshaft and axles. Stock STI components will not hold that reliably. And speaking of reliable, that's one of the last things a 400 whp WRX or STI will ever be. At that power level an STI is just asking for a mind numbing amount of problems.
#13 Old 12-26-2013, 01:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Which is why you always need an "oh shit" fund.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae