2004 STi yes or no? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jedsred89 is an unknown
2004 STi yes or no?

hey guys im new the Subarus, im looking at a 2004 STi with 53K miles, they have it for 19,500 i think. it has an in dash touch screen Nav and the tailights are tinted. other then that it appears stock. as far as price, i will not pay that much lol, NADA has it for no more then 16,500. but what are your thoughts? would should i really look at when i go test drive it? i guess im asking if i should pounce on it and yes i know this is a Subie forum so lol
thanks! heres the current DD 1989 Supra 1JZ TT 3.5" exhaust, HKS Intake, and FMIC only on 12psi but its getting sold to be the DP on the new car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2010, 11:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Noob is an unknown
Yeah, that's asking way too much for that car. But are you buying from a dealership or private? Also 53K miles isn't bad for other cars. People tend to drive these cars a little rough lol. So be weary of that. When test driving the car pay extra attention to how it rides. These cars usually drive very nicely, look for any kinks in the transmission. Get them down on the price that's way too much for an 04.
#3 Old 06-20-2010, 12:51 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
KBB says 18.2k for an excellent condition 04 STi with 53k miles. I tend to believe it as even in this economy, there's a good market for used STi's. Course, most 6 year old cars are not in excellent condition so deduct accordingly.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 06-20-2010, 01:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jedsred89 is an unknown
yeah KBB is higher but i work for a dealer ship and i have yet to come across one that uses KBB.........im gonna go check it out monday....i want it i must have it lol
#5 Old 06-20-2010, 07:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Something else to keep in mind is that a semi-major maintenance milestone is approaching - 60k maintenance. Basically, all the fluids, spark plugs, filters, and some other odds and ends get checked or replaced which will set you back several hundred bucks - even if you gather the materials and do the work yourself. You might want to look at the brake pads and tires too since they're particularly expensive on the STi. If any of that looks like it needs to be changed, you could try to negotiate with the dealership to have some or all of that work done so you don't have to worry about it. Just something else to think about.

Info on the maintenance: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period

Also, here are some things to look for when thinking about purchasing a used STi: The Used STi Buyer's Guide - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've been looking for these cars for a while now and 04's are still getting listed between 19 and 22k depending on mileage. That's at a dealer of course. My Subaru dealer is still paying between 14.5 and 17k for 04's.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#7 Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jedsred89 is an unknown
ok so here it is, we aggreed on 17650 ---as is, i will do the fluid change and spark plugs. the tires look good still, you guys think its a fair price? oh btw it has a Greddy BOV non-recirculated, and do you guys sometimes rout the CAI's down into the right front fener/wheel well? cause the plastic looks like it had some cut out in it. the carfax came back clean, and only one owner. are you on here? heres a few pics of the car heres the listing

#8 Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The only weird thing is it says "tons of custom parts" in the banner on the top of the page.

-Chris
#9 Old 06-21-2010, 02:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Looks like a nice clean car.

It appears that the heat shield is missing over the turbo. It's a little metal piece that has a burning hand on it. These don't fit over aftermarket down pipes, so my guess is that at some point this car had an after market DP on it, possibly it still does. If you can snap a picture of the motor on the passenger side next to the intercooler we could tell you.

And yes, some intakes go into the fender, but it also could have had a front mount intercooler on it at some point. Look for cuts in the front bumper cover.

Anyway, car looks pretty nice, and if it runs good without any smoke or weird noises than I would say you've done very well.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#10 Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
check your rear struts, looks a little saggy (though stock springs judging from the front). The rear struts commonly fail about that mileage. You can get them re-packed though, not that complicated a fix.

+1 on the heatshield. That car has seen more mods than you think. Take it to a tuner and have them poke around.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 06-21-2010, 05:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jedsred89 is an unknown
Ill get somepics tomorrow. If theirs anyone local that wants to look at it with me I would be morethen greatfull
#12 Old 06-25-2010, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jedsred89 is an unknown
ok guys the car is a no go, there was water damage, the whole car smells musty, ran it through my carwash at work and the trunk leaks. it had a new bumper and fender, could see evidence of new paint. aldo there was some mud and grass crammed up in places it souldnt be lol and the brake calipers were really discolored. sooooo i guess im gonna keep looking
#13 Old 06-26-2010, 01:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

rety1-1 is an unknown
damn that sucks...
i hope you find what your looking for!

i personally just came across a 02 wrx with 131k gonna hope that its all there so to say..
gotta get my subaru owning friend to go with me lol

wooot!!
new car!
'87 toyota supra turbo ;P