Subaru WRX Forum banner

2002 Wrx future plans???

4K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
Okay so I have some of my 02 Wrx plans thought out as I have a job now and am rouging this summer. So I thought I'd share my ideas with you guys to see what some of you more experienced then a 16 year old people have to say lol.
Okay: 1. Fix Fender Rust
2. Sti wing
3. Cat back exhaust (Have muffler delete straight pipe now) Feel free to suggest brand
4. Rhino Line underneath the car
5. Either paint the stock rims gold, or buy BBS golds. Feel free to suggest other options
6. A-pillar boost gauges

There's other things being thrown around in my mind but these are some of the things i'd really like to do. If you guys think any of this is really stupid and im not seeing it feel free to tell me. Or if you have other suggestions let me know. The car has about 115k on the body and 96k on the motor I had to put in, so i'm not looking to go to much performance wise. Sound, looks, and keeping it as clean as possible is what matters to me at this point. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Add a new camera to that list.... I kid I kid

On a serious note, drop the gauges. They are a pit. I would get everything back up to spec (cleaning it, fixing it, maintainence, TLC kind of things). This makes you appreciate your car a bit more.

A rear swaybar will be your best bang for buck....although, you might find other cancer underneath.

The wing is a "meh" kind of thing IMHO. To each their own.

Rhino lining (I have no input on this as I would just undercoat it the best I could for as cheap as possible).

Wheels...well.... if you have the extra cash laying around after everything else is done, why not?

#5 ·
If you're serious about the STi wing, your best bet will probably be the trunk swap thread over at North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club. If yours is in good shape, there may be someone local looking to trade. Don't forget to at least swap locks and possibly torsion bars (the STi wing is heavier than the stock WRX wing, so it needs a little extra convincing to defy gravity).

Skip the gauges. Throw those few hundred bucks toward a cat back. If you don't particularly care about the condition being absolutely perfect, you can pick up a used one for cheap. Again, check NASIOC. Invidia is a popular, relatively inexpensive brand, but you should really just get the one you like the look and sound of since you'll have to listen to it every day and look at it often.

Painting your stock wheels is a fun learning experience and can tide you over until you save up enough money for new wheels. BBS golds are going to be expensive (probably close to $1,000, excluding tires) - 2004 STi wheels (5x100 bolt pattern) are the only ones that will fit your car due to every other year having a 5x114.3 bolt pattern. For a relatively inexpensive new wheel, check out Rota wheels at: WHEELDUDE.COM

I definitely agree with fixing the fender rust - that's only going to get worse. Check NASIOC for an 02/03 WRX that's being parted out or your local junk yard. Front fenders should be relatively easy to install.

I definitely agree with Paul about the maintenance and rear sway bar... that's definitely a great bang for your buck mod.

#6 ·
The fender will be the first thing I will be replacing. Im hoping to get that in the next few weeks or so. But after that I really wanna get the exhaust done because I'd like to undercoat the bottom of the car, but what are the big advantages to doing a sway bar? If you guys think it'd be a good investment then I'm all for it. I'll just wait until after that to d the undercoating. Also do you know of a brand that their cat-back sounds nice and deep and rumbly but still pretty loud? Im still a 16 year old so I'd like it to be loud :)

#24 ·
Ummmm since I am old and have old man knowledge I'm gonna drop some on ya...As stated get the car back up to spec as far as maintaining the car as it should be...Then go with mods in this order;
1) Tires, get a good set of tires
2) EM(please read about this before modifying your car)
3) Everything else should follow suit after those first two

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.