2002 Subaru WRX Exhaust help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

LordOfCatTown is an unknown
2002 Subaru WRX Exhaust help

Hey guys,

I am not that knowledgeable about this stuff, so I need your help! I have a 2002 Subaru WRX and one of the catalytic converters is out. I was told there are three cats in my car, a main one, and two smaller ones in the back. I am guessing it is the main one because I was told it was around $1000 to replace. My question is: if I bought just a COBB Downpipe, it has a high flow cat in it, and would that fix the problem? Also, my mechanic said he won't do any welding, so it has to be bolt-on. Would I also need to buy their heat shield so it will fit correctly? Sorry I am not that knowledgeable!

Thanks,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2012, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well if you do replace the DP you'll need to have the car tuned to work with that part. The three cats are as follows;
Up pipe cat which is before the turbo
Down pipe cat right after the turbo
Mid pipe Cat which is right after the 2nd oxygen sensor.

If possible you could get away with replacing it and running the car that way, but I really don't recommend that.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

I think I have it all figured out. I am going to get the cobb DP and heatshield, and the cobb access port to tune it. Should be good then, right?
#4 Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah you should be okay then.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Actually, I have a question. I live in Travis County, Texas and the emission inspections are kinda strict. If I gutted my uppipe, and installed the COBB downpipe with a high flow cat, would my emissions go up much?
#6 Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
check your laws before you do anything to be safe. im moving to a county thats only about 40 mile drive from where i live now and they have emissions,but i found out if the car is made after 1995 they dont even hook the "sniffer" up to the exhaust if thats the same case for your place you should be good to go as long as you have no check engine lights. how often do u have to get your car rechecked. im running no cats and with a tune i have no check engine lights. also they make this stuff that you can put in your tank that will pass you when it comes to emissions
#7 Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Texas doesn't do emissions.....
#8 Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Texas doesn't do emissions.....
They do a lot of other things though...like the death penalty...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#9 Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
EXECUTE ALL TEH RETARDS!

(native Texan)