Subaru WRX Forum banner

2 step launch control

55K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  RoboTuner 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a 2-step launch control for my 2004 wrx. The main reasons I want it is because ignition cut so it's technically safer for your engine and I also want flames and loud big pops. Please I don't want any of you to say stuff like learn how to launch properly or flames are ricey and annoying. I know how to launch but it would just be a nice feature and I really want flames and loud bangs without having to put a spark plug into my exhaust. I was looking at the bee rev limiter but what else is my options. Must be ignition cut. No fuel cut

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
There are several different ways to go about doing it. It depends on how you are tuned (and there are also completely standalone systems).

If you are on AP, I believe that is already a feature that is built in?

If you're on Open Source (ie Tactrix cable) it's a lot more fun because there's a thing called MerpMod which is essentially a completely hacked patch for a rom that was develped by people that extend the functionality of the ECU (including things like 2step, flat foot shifting, rev limiter replacement, speed density tuning and future features such as having a light blink in your dash if your car experiences a knock event for example).

I'm on the Open Source side and I have a Merp Mod patched rom which I tune myself and I'm very happy with it (although to be honest I rarely use the actual 2step).

Parallel to the 2step in MerpMod, I run something I think is way more fun but it's a complete hack (a very clever one at that) but it works incredibly well. This method works with both AP and Open Source and delivers the exact result you're looking for, what's more is it builds significanly more boost than a 2step alone (even without using 2step) but can be tuned to work well WITH 2step to have significant boost and a controlled RPM during launch.

Here's how it works, dumbed down: You add a relay and a button to disconnect the temperature sensor in your MAF assembly. What this does is signal to the ECU that the outside temperature is -40 degrees (which would obviously never happen). Now you have a trigger for tuning, because you can set up the maps that deal with timing compensation tables that are relative to the intake air temperature. You can now use those tables to retard timing ONLY above a specific RPM range, and ONLY when the button is active.

Now you not only have Anti-Lag for launching where you can reach pressures above the spring rate on your turbo (I've seen numbers around 15psi, it's less with my EWG but I was thinking about adding another solenoid control to redirect boost source to the top port to push it closed when the Anti-Lag is activated).

The reason I use this and not 2step with it is because the timing is retarded, the motor revs up much slower, so it's pretty easy to catch the exact wanted RPM as you drop the clutch.

Obviously this puts a good amount of stress on the motor and turbo and exhaust... but I recently had the joy of rebuilding mine for other reasons and the turbo had zero shaft play and exhaust were fine (motor was toast for other reasons but the valvetrain which is what this mod would affect was fine).

Anyway just a tip, it works great. Here's a link: $10 Antilag.... - NASIOC

Here's my real world result (catless, with around -20 degrees retarded timing when active)

#3 ·
Thanks I'll defiantly look into it. I currently have a Cobb access port on a stage 2 tune. The nearest pro tuner shop is 6 hours away. Is there any other methods that might be easier to do such as a bee rev limiter. The bee rev limiter is a little to much for me at the moment so I'm looking at a little cheaper route to go down.

#4 ·
First, flames aren't rice if you have the power/mods to back them up. Second, don't go all in your feels when people voice their opinions..this whole "I don't like what you said now I'm mad" thing people do is killing our society.

Rant over.

Now as for FUNCTIONAL flames, it requires a full exhaust, catless will help a crap ton as will running a bit rich at shifts and a BOV will help this happen (though over time it will ruin your spark plugs and you WILL need to change them much more frequently.

As for the popping during shifts, I wouldn't recommend you aim for that to be a goal just because you can. Unless you have loads of money sitting around for a new turbo and/or engine rebuild just don't. The way that all happens is when it pops, the combustion cycle isn't happening in the cylinders anymore, but in the manifold/headers before the turbo. Go ahead, pop to your hearts desire but be ready when you crack/chip/shatter/melt your valves/turbo/pistons.

You've been warned and informed.

#9 ·
AccessTuner requires a paid class online before new downloads as of Nov/Dec 2016. Accessport Manager on the otherhand can pull your map off the AccessPort and is free. But he could send you the map via email, though if IIRC AccessTuner when downloaded is setup with default priorities for that model (ej205/16bit vs ej255/32bit) though I'm sure it can be done just a heads up. Give it a try though!

I guess Cobb was having too many people/shops complain about tuners and customers getting into it over bad maps/business/etc. so they require a paid online class before you are emailed the link to download it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.