Subaru WRX Forum banner

17x8 Rota Boost's on stock suspension?

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Subarufan123 
#1 ·
Will I have any problems with rubbing and what not? do I need to roll the fenders? Planning on purchasing coilovers down the road. What's the best tire size to run with 17x8's?

The specs:
Wheel Style - Rota Boost
Wheel Diameter (Inches) - 17"
Wheel Width (Inches) - 8"
PCD Bolt Pattern - 5x100
Offset - 48mm
Hub Bore - 56.1mm

Current Setup:
Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels
Size: 16x7
Offset: 48mm
Backspacing: 5.87"
Bolt Pattern: 5-100

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Well it looks like I'll be going with those and 235's. Thanks for the help!

You can go a little wider if you want. I'd recommend 235/40R17 tires for the 17x8" wheels (at +48) as the ultimate setup. I push the envelope a little further with 255/40R17 on 17x8.5" +48 wheels but I do rub in the rear. Also, good luck finding 5x100 8.5" wheels at +48 anymore.
So I'm planning on making the purchase through wheeldude.com for the Rota's and NEXEN tires. Is that a good place to order from?

#5 ·
You can go a little wider if you want. I'd recommend 235/40R17 tires for the 17x8" wheels (at +48) as the ultimate setup. I push the envelope a little further with 255/40R17 on 17x8.5" +48 wheels but I do rub in the rear. Also, good luck finding 5x100 8.5" wheels at +48 anymore.

#11 ·
Thank you for the heads up. I'll just order the wheels from Wheeldude.com then order the tires from tirerack. I'm willing to spend more if I need too.

I agree with brfatal, however, a quick search on TireRack.com reveals that 235/40R17 tire brand and performance category options are very limited. I know they don't stock every brand on the planet, but their site is a good indicator nonetheless. Wheels aside, 245/40R17 and 235/40R18 are sizes that have much more brand and performance category options available. Unfortunately, TireRack.com doesn't carry Rota wheels.
So I'd be alright with 235/40R18's? I would like to get tires that are worth while.

235/40/17 is better gearing wise, but 235/45/17 will work, and that size has a massive selection to choose from.
Awesome, I appreciate it. I'll look into getting the 235/45/17's. What brands would you recommend?

RE-11's are sold by tirerack. That's as much grip as you can get and $192 each. If that sounds like too much money, don't go 235 wide. Plenty of much more budget friendly and less performance oriented tires in 225/45R17. If you want to push it, get something worth pushing for. 235/40R17 RE-11's on 17x8" +48 (make sure it's +48) 5x100 is just about the best tire the GD chassis can utilize. The RE-11s aren't the absolute best in terms of pure grip but they're livable in terms of noise and bumps, treadlife isn't quite non-existent, and they won't make you grab your steering wheel for dear life when it rains.

I'd get some sways with endlinks when you can too. The endlinks will really help the car communicate where the limits of grip are so you don't kill yourself trying to find out. Those tires have more than enough grip to see you through anything sane.
I'm am planning on purchasing Front and rear Sway bars, Front and Rear Strut tower Bars, and a Rear Lower Sub Frame bar pretty soon after along with the Kartboy Endlinks. I love carving the Mountains so I definitely think it's a must to have all these pieces on my car.

#8 ·
I agree with brfatal, however, a quick search on TireRack.com reveals that 235/40R17 tire brand and performance category options are very limited. I know they don't stock every brand on the planet, but their site is a good indicator nonetheless. Wheels aside, 245/40R17 and 235/40R18 are sizes that have much more brand and performance category options available. Unfortunately, TireRack.com doesn't carry Rota wheels.

#10 ·
RE-11's are sold by tirerack. That's as much grip as you can get and $192 each. If that sounds like too much money, don't go 235 wide. Plenty of much more budget friendly and less performance oriented tires in 225/45R17. If you want to push it, get something worth pushing for. 235/40R17 RE-11's on 17x8" +48 (make sure it's +48) 5x100 is just about the best tire the GD chassis can utilize. The RE-11s aren't the absolute best in terms of pure grip but they're livable in terms of noise and bumps, treadlife isn't quite non-existent, and they won't make you grab your steering wheel for dear life when it rains.

I'd get some sways with endlinks when you can too. The endlinks will really help the car communicate where the limits of grip are so you don't kill yourself trying to find out. Those tires have more than enough grip to see you through anything sane.

#12 ·
I would avoid 235/40R18 and 235/45R17. They'll rub in the back at +48 when the car is loaded down and the gearing is not good for the EJ205, really not good. Stick with 235/40R17 or even 235/35R18 if you want 235 width. If those are too expensive, back off to 225 wide. 225/45R17 and 225/40R18 work. 17 vs 18? It's mostly cosmetic. 17's can take a little more abuse and are a little easier on your back as well as a little cheaper so to me it's a no brainer.

the tower bars and sub frame bar are not necessary, it's a unibody car not a 1980s mustang. They sell these parts but unless you are planning on turning it into a pure offroad car I would skip them. Spend money on tires instead.

tire rack sells 17x8" +48 wheels. If you get the wheels and tires from them, they'll mount them for free. Also saves on shipping. Something to think about.

#13 ·
I'll look at Tirerack some more tonight. i really want a deep dish wheel this time on my WRX. Depending on what Tirerack has I may order both from them and go with 225's instead. I work at a dealership as well so i get discounts through Tirerack. I really appreciate all the help and info, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.