Subaru WRX Forum banner

'16 WRX Shifting - Advice Sought

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  silverback66 
#1 ·
I just bought a new 2016 WRX (currently 1100 miles) and am having difficulty getting a clean shift, especially into first and second. By clean shift, I am not referring to issues with the car jerking, stalling or taking off from first etc., but rather getting the gear shift smoothly into the gear. Sometimes, it goes in smoothly and other times when I try the same method, it feels like there is a catch. I have tried shifting slower, ensured the clutch is to the floor, shifting quicker and pulling it into neutral before moving to second - the last seems to produce the most consistent positive result. Whenever it is going smoothly, I replicate the method but it never seems to be consistently the same. I have owned a BMW 540i 6-speed before and have driven several other manual cars and have never noticed the same issue. This could be due to the fact I am more cognizant as it is a brand new car. Anyhow, I wanted to see if anyone out there had similar issues and explore tried methods to get a consistent smooth shift into gear every time.

#2 ·
Theres a few things that could be making your shifts feel that way. First do you have the standard shifter or the STI Short throw? The STi shifter has a pretty sizable counter weight that makes shifting feel smoother. Also do you have the stock knob or an aftermarket one? sometimes adding additional weight to the top of the stick can increase overall smoothness.

If you are having issues where the transmission doesnt want to click into a particular gear there could be something up with your shift rack. These cars are cable shifted which means that they rely on a rack to place the cables in their required position, If your shift unit is out of spec it could cause shift issues. Thats something that would be worth taking to the dealership over and having them take a look at.

#3 ·
I have a 16 WRX as well. Shifting feels pretty smooth to me.. But I'm not use to the feel of many "good" manual shift cars. A few big work trucks and a 5speed Honda I had in highschool. So maybe you just expect more than I do.

Would you say that's it's possible that your shifter is moving too far to the left between 1st and 2nd shift?
I have heard that with our cars the play in the shifter can cause some less than smooth shifts. I believe there are some aftermarket shifter stops that should help the play in the shifter.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.