08 rex haatch access port - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

munch507 is an unknown
Post 08 rex haatch access port

hey guys newbie to here i have a 2008 wrx hatcgback just put a turboback exhaust by tsudo with catless downpipe on it and i bought the cobb access port and i wast told i need a tune for the access port? where do i get tht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Your Cobb AccessPORT should come with a bunch of pre-loaded maps on it. Find one that says "Stage 2" and pay attention to the type of gas it calls for (91 octane or 93 octane). Reflash your car's ECU to the map that corresponds to the type of gas you have available in your area and you're done.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

pjkolosha is an unknown
hey "man show" ive recently got my 08 wrx hatch and the first thing im going to do is get a tbe and a AP. im sure once i get the AP port it will explain in good detail how to set everything up..but my question is, ive been looking up and researching stuff on this forum about the 08 wrx hatch and i heard some people when they reflash their ECU it, how do you say, basically destroys it their ECU? some sort of malfunction that just messes the ECU up and you have to get a new one?
#4 Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Your ECU will be fine. People reflash their ECUs many times (up to 100+) without any negative effects. The Cobb AP software simply stores your stock data and replaces it with a better map which complements the aftermarket parts that are on your car. Pay close attention to the map notes as far as which parts are compatible with which maps. Once the AP software is loaded, the AP unit is "married" to your car and can't be used on any other car. You can "unmarry" it at any time and revert back to stock settings if you want for warranty work, etc. It's really pretty neat stuff... you have nothing to fear

John
#5 Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

pjkolosha is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Your ECU will be fine. People reflash their ECUs many times (up to 100+) without any negative effects. The Cobb AP software simply stores your stock data and replaces it with a better map which complements the aftermarket parts that are on your car. Pay close attention to the map notes as far as which parts are compatible with which maps. Once the AP software is loaded, the AP unit is "married" to your car and can't be used on any other car. You can "unmarry" it at any time and revert back to stock settings if you want for warranty work, etc. It's really pretty neat stuff... you have nothing to fear
thanks man...thats a relief. I just heard a lot of people complaining that they had to get new ECU because their AccessPORT destroyed their current one. But you know i think that was on older models and Cobb has since then fixed the problem idk thanks for the reassurance!
#6 Old 01-15-2013, 03:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
ECU bricking has nothing to do with older vs newer model ECUs. In almost all cases it's the result of user error.
#7 Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Another question manshow. I'm going to be going stage 2 in a week and I'm still up in the air on whether to get a custom tune by a shop, or use an access port. My biggest concern with the custom tune (which I know is better) is that it'll void my warranty. I've read on here that dealers can see how many times, and whether you've touched your ECU at all! Is that true? And will the cobb access port adjustments show up on my ECU if they look? Just trying to figure out which way to go for tuning and you seem extremely knowledgable with Subarus. Your opinion on both ways to go would be great! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#8 Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
It doesn't matter if you use an AP or OpenSource. If they want to find it they will.
#9 Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
It doesn't matter if you use an AP or OpenSource. If they want to find it they will.
It's funny I was just about to PM you. I figured that as well. So open source it is. BrenTuning here in MA can do some miraculous things with Subarus so I wanna go that route if its just gonna be the same hassle with the dealer.

#10 Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Bren has been frowned upon with the Speed guys. I'd link you if I could get on MSF.org here at work.

I'd get an AP instead of a OS tune. With an OS tune, you will need to get a tactrix cable and laptop and flash the stock map back on to get any powertrain warranty work done.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Pzr please check your PM's

#12 Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

RINGY91 is an unknown
I have a question ive watched a lot of vids online when it comes to the cobb ap do you have to leave it connected to your car? Or are they just keeping it in there just in case??
#13 Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

I think the most important question you have to ask yourself is: how long are you planning to keep the car? If you're in it for the long haul, it would be best to find a reputable shop and have your car professionally tuned. My local tuner of choice (IAG Performance) protunes using the AP, so I ended up needing it anyway. Your car will run optimally and last longer, as long as you don't abuse it too bad and keep up with maintenance. If, however, you're only going to keep it for a couple of years, go with the AP and flash an off the shelf Stage 2 map on it. It's easily reversable and you'll be able to sell everything and recover a good bit if your money (APs tend to hold their value rather well).

Another question you should ask yourself is: will you stop at Stage 2 or modify your car further? If you're just going to stop at Stage 2 (due to family, financial, or other reasons), an AP would be good, but a protune would be better. If you're going to modify beyond Stage 2, you'll need a protune eventually, so the AP should suffice until you collect and install the parts necessary to support an upgraded turbo.

I remember struggling with that decision several years ago. I initially went with the AP and an OTS map because it was very important to me to be able to revert back to stock completely if I had any warranty issues that required a trip to the dealership or had to sell the car (stock cars are generally worth more than lightly modified cars). The dealers can see if the ECU was altered, so I probably would have lost that battle anyway. Odds are that nothing will happen in the first few years of ownership, but it still gave me peace of mind. When my car was finally paid off, I got a protune and went a bit crazy with the modding, but that's another story

John
#14 Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Awesome reply manshow. Just answered another question I was wondering. Too many types of tunes and I was unsure which one to go with. But your post just gave me what I needed. Sorry for hijacking your thread OP lol!

#15 Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGY91 View Post
I have a question ive watched a lot of vids online when it comes to the cobb ap do you have to leave it connected to your car? Or are they just keeping it in there just in case??
People just mount it for logging or viewing. You don't have to keep it in there

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3