Subaru WRX Forum banner

08-09 WRX Changes! ....

9K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  SuBeast 
#1 ·
Well I know a lot of people on here were wondering the changes made to the WRX in 2009... And I was flipping through the pages of a magazine and found an article covering the changes! So, I took pictures of the important stuff, so instead of typing it all out, I'm going to post the Pictures!!!! !Thumbs Up (I'm lazy)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The 02-05 are mostly aluminum. I am not sure on the 06-07 but I'd bet it's aluminum as well.

Aluminum was MUCH cheaper during the Clinton administration. Aluminum shot up in price in late 2005 and thus cars designed after that date use plastics as much as possible (the WRX has an aluminum hood 02-07 for example. Steel in 08).

#5 ·
So the wrx's are gonna get red gauges now too huh? Thats pretty sweet. I bet the guys who went out and bought an 08 are pissed. That intercooler is funny small. LOL @ plastic intake manifold! I thought it looked pretty cool black and then I read on to see it's plastic!

#9 ·
I kinda dig the new WRX badge in the front grille. But the plastic intake manifold is BS. I suppose everyone has been turning to more plastic pieces in their vehicles, but an intake manifold? I'd rather have a heavy-as-hell cast manifold than a cheap-ass plastic one....

#12 ·
I think the 08 WRX will forever be the butt of jokes in the subaru world for years to come. They should just proactively re-name their cars 08 GTs to save the confusion. I have a feeling this is going to be some long explanation I give on here about this in like 2013 or something when ppl forget...

#14 ·
Wish I could remember where I saw this....but, from what I know lately. The 09 wrx has the same turbo housing as the VF48 STI turbo...but, the compressor/wheel (fins or whatever its called) is smaller. The 2.5 GT has the new layout TD04 or whatever still (smaller turbo housing then the VF48).

#15 ·
Not Pissed about owning a 08 just sorta but-hurt, who wouldnt?. The funny thing is if you have about $2500 the 08 will be a 09. Then it becomes a $ issue that people are getting out of the factory that now you would pay money to be comperable to the 09. You have to be an idiot to think subaru didnt adress these gripes of the 08 that the so-called "cult" cried about. The car group that i left is simular. Yep im an Audi trader. Im not going to get into a apples and oranges comparison. These two cars are def not in the same category by any means.
The hood and trunk is made of aluminum not steel. Beleive me i can tell every time i close the hood and trunk, feels like im closing a soda can over the compartments.
Dont worry though you have crumple points to make it safe.!Notfunny!
Personnally my biggest let-down of this car with such so-called quality has to be the paint. One word: TERRIBLE!! Kia, Toyota, Ford, who-ever this car was labled after... freekin Yugo could do a better job then Subaru did, maybe i got the red-hen.
High points car is fun to drive, my fav AWD due to life style and area of living. i think it lacks major quality issues before anything. I guess thats what you get for driving a German crout for the last 6 yrs. !Thumbs Up
Got one last Q to the all knowing Subie owners?? Was i tricked in buying a Japanese car made by disgruntled Chinese in a Japanese factory? Then i would understand the slight flaws.

P.S. No change from the 08's to the 09 STi's. Whats funny to me is the 08 STi is being compared to the 09 WRX.

#17 ·
Just after owning the car i think its over-priced for what you get. I did do research and the car was know for its quality "Subaru". Im missing it. To me QC is a major make or break in loyalty from its owners. Am i being to irreasonable?

#18 ·
2008 consumer reports ranked Subaru second only to Honda in "quality". You want to back up your insults? Subaru's reputation is for making some of the safest, longest lasting, and most reliable on the road.

#19 ·
The paint is just a industry related issue. The whole asian market on paint is cheaping out on their paint quality over the past few years. If you look across the asian manufactoring market there is some severe orange peel going on. Believe me...I've seen the new 08s and I can see the orange peel pretty easy. But, not every car is affected. You just have to look more closely at the car you buy.

#21 ·
Not all asian markets are going cheap. Nissan fixed some of their newer cars with self-scratch-fixing paint. I guess it somehow "fixes" small scratches in the clearcoat. Sounds expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.