• 1 Post By Fidrat
  • 1 Post By man show
  • 1 Post By Fidrat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ruse01 is an unknown
06 silencer delete

Hi all, newly registered to the forum and new 06 wrx sedan and absolutely love it.

My question is as this is completely stock and short of funds a small amount of research has led me to silencer delete on the CIA. Also being new to mods and turbos I'm wondering if this is a good option for allowing me to hear that beautiful sound of the boxer engine and turbo and if it is a good option is there something like a cap or anything to put over the hole, not keen on leaving it open or taping it up I don't want to take away from the beauty . Not interested in BOV and can't afford a new CIA or exhaust for afew more months.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Yes, it will make the car louder, though IMO won't help you hear the turbo. That's largely due to the downpipe.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
I wouldn't recommend a BOV. BPV would be the route to go for these cars.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #4 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
Definitely do the silencer delete. It gives you a little more sound and hell its free. But you will be so much happier with the added sound from a downpipe

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP

282 WHP / 247 WTQ
post #5 of 10 Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Do this! It's all you will ever need. Don't just skim this link. Scroll down and check out the velocity stack mod. Lots of pics too.

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread...=&threadid=113

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ruse01 is an unknown
This is awesome feedback, will be doing this next week on a day off. Thanks everyone
post #7 of 10 Old 04-12-2014, 07:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

The velocity stack can be had at Auto Zone or any other parts store for under 10 bucks. I had to trim the rim a bit to fit the inside of the fender well and drill a hole for the rubber mount I used from off the intake silencer. It trims easily because it's plastic but beware of the chrome plating. It's SHARP!!! It will cut you with no mercy and make you confess to crimes you didn't commit.
Ruse01 likes this.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-13-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Ruse01 is an unknown
So curious, il be doing this tomorrow so wondering what I should do about the hole where the silencer was. It doesn't sound to safe leaving it open. Been lurking on Google and found reference to a elbow that replaces it and a few DIY's where people plug the hole by cutting the actual silencer up which takes away the option of ever putting it back on DIY: Intake Silencer Elbow wonder what people's opinions are and what others have done.
Thanks again
post #9 of 10 Old 04-13-2014, 10:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have a GP Moto intake silencer delete elbow on my 07 WRX. The DIY version does almost exactly the same thing - if you analyze the air flow, it might be slightly less smooth, but overall, it's pretty negligible. If time is more important to you, buy the aftermarket elbow. If money and the pride of creating something yourself are more important to you, go with the DIY version.
Ruse01 likes this.

John
07 WRX
post #10 of 10 Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruse01 View Post
So curious, il be doing this tomorrow so wondering what I should do about the hole where the silencer was. It doesn't sound to safe leaving it open. Been lurking on Google and found reference to a elbow that replaces it and a few DIY's where people plug the hole by cutting the actual silencer up which takes away the option of ever putting it back on DIY: Intake Silencer Elbow wonder what people's opinions are and what others have done.
Thanks again
Here is what I did with the hole. I just put some thick foam rubber tape on the end of the "ram intake" funnel to fill the gap and stop vibration then bolted it back on the car. I like the idea of nice cold air from the front of the car going into my fender, being sucked in the air box through a velocity stack and through a drop-in filter of my choice. You don't need a tune with it. It's cheap. It gives you TRUE cold air. It won't screw with your MAF. And it makes the most sence.

Ruse01 likes this.

Last edited by Fidrat; 04-15-2014 at 03:36 AM. Reason: wrong part name