Subaru WRX Forum banner

06 impreza 2.5i to wrx swap

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RogueMantis 
#1 ·
My 06 Impreza 2.5i timing belt failed after 43,000 miles on replacement belt. My options now after the cam seized, valves stuck opened and lead to the motor needing to be replaced. I am in a state of selling it off for parts or considering an upgrade to WRX or STI motor and drivetrain. My question is are my options worth the time and money or cut the loss and upgrade to a WRX or STI model? In limbo as this was my only means of transportation. Would appreciate some insight and guidance from the gurus. Thank you.

#2 ·
Unless you are really attached to that specific car, parting it out/selling it as-is and upgrading to either a WRX or STi would be much easier and more than likely, cheaper in the long run. I am not an expert on this specific swap, but if I'm not mistaken, that would require a turbo (and supporting hardware), ECU, intercooler, intake system, exhaust, not to mention all of the suspension/braking mods that would be required to handle the added power.

And if it's your only car, the time required to get all of this put together would either take a while or you would be paying a huge convenience fee. I would start looking around for something new ASAP.

Besides, you have the perfect excuse to get a shiny new/new-to-you STi ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.