05 Wrx Cobb stage 2, where to go now? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Subiedoobiedoo is an unknown
05 Wrx Cobb stage 2, where to go now?

Hello everyone
I'm new to the site, so I hope I am doing this right. Anyways, I am fairly new to the world of Subaru, and have been a fan since I first rode in one when I was 16 (I'm 20 now). I finally was able to purchase a 05 wrx a few months ago and modded it with the following.
GReddy RS CB
Cobb bell mouth catted dp
Grimmspeed up pipe
Cobb accessport
Then Grimmspeed replacement gaskets and heat shield

I'm flashed on stage 2, and was wondering what would be my next step?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated,
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Welcome glad to see someone else from pa. Next mods might wanna be injectors fuel pump, intercooler, ecbs, bigger turbo. Then tuned. I have an 06 and did Cobb access port , then helix catted down pipe. And gathering parts for a big upgrade. Just make sure all your maintance is up to date

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#3 Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Power wise, your next step will be a larger turbo with supporting mods and a protune.

More importantly, what tires do you have? What suspension mods do you have? Is all of your factory recommended maintenance up to date?

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
One mod you could do now without additional tuning is a set of GrimmSpeed modified stock headers. I happen to have a set that was ported, polished, and ceramic coated (black) by GrimmSpeed that was on my 07 WRX for about 16,600 miles (1 year, 3 months). It was professionally drilled/tapped for an exhaust gas temperature sensor on the driver's side exhaust manifold button, but you could get a 1/8" NPT plug if you don't want to use it. The cast end sections will fit your car perfectly, but you would need to get a different crosspipe (either a modified 04/05 stock crosspipe or an 04/05 high flow crosspipe through GrimmSpeed) since the 04/05 design is slightly different than the 06/07 design. Other than that, you'd just need some new gaskets and you'd be good to go. The install is really straightforward and fairly easy as long as you have a floor jack, jack stands, and some basic hand tools (mostly sockets and extensions). It would be a nice project for you to look forward to in the spring when the weather warms up. I'd recommend reusing the stock header heat shields or wrapping and spray coating the headers because I didn't and they melted part of my plastic undertray to the point where I had to remove some of the material with my dremel tool... not really a big deal, but I wish I would have known that before I installed them without any additional heat protection. The ceramic coating is good, but it's not enough. I'd be willing to sell the cast end sections to you for $200 shipped if you're interested. There is some light surface rust (to be expected on a part that goes through extreme heat cycles, like the hot side of a turbo), but they're structurally sound (no leaks)
Attached Images

John
#5 Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thank you both for the advice, appreciate it! I currently have no suspension mods, all maintenance is up to date, just hit 90k and had all belts replaced. As for tires I have some Goodyear tires size 205/55-16. For my next mods would it be better to go for suspension, rims, and tires? Again, thank you both for the nice welcome to the forum

#6 Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thank you man show, and I'd love to take you up on your offer, unfortunately I have to blow some money on books for the upcoming semester soon -_- ..... What would you recommend once I get more cash? Engine mods? Suspension?

#7 Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

No prob, I hear you man. I just had to pay for spring tuition myself.

You can never go wrong with a good set of performance summer tires (mounted on wider/lighter wheels) and dedicated winter tires, especially since you probably live in an area where you see snow and temps consistently below 40 for a few months. You could also look into swaybars and end links - they're arguably the best bang for your buck suspension mods. Your struts are probably nearing the end of their life too, but you can probably still squeeze a bit out of them. I'm at 107k and I haven't changed mine yet.

Also, a fuel pump can be installed any time without a tune (I have a Walbro 255)

John
#8 Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

The advice both of you have given is really good, and some of which I haven't thought about. I think I'm going to hit up my suspension, rims, and tires next. Winters haven't been too bad lately but up here we usually get hardest in January and February. I see you're from Maryland man show. I'm fairly close to the Maryland boarder and was wondering if you knew of a shop that did protunes using the accessport?
A lot of the shops around my area mostly do custom work on Hondas/Acuras specifically

#9 Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

I do, indeed: check out IAG Performance in Westminster, MD. They've handled the bulk of the work on my car that I was unqualified to do: repaired rear body damage from fender bender, rolled/pulled fenders, performance alignment, engine build, transmission build, protuned by Jorge Carrillo (three times now). I have nothing but good things to say about them. Prices are fair and they're extremely professional.

John
#10 Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks man! I deff will be needing a shop to do some work in the future! It's nice to find a shop that specializes on subarus considering like I said everyone back here are Honda/Acura guys -_-

#11 Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Man, you guys covered it well for him.
To the OP, where about is Newville?

And a heads up, with the roads up here, my struts were all scrap metal at 105k.
They're not cheap and you may wanna put that on your que. good luck and stay in touch.... Welcome to the best forum for good helpful friendly knowledge

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#12 Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

If you know where chambersburg is its about 15 mins north of there, 45 mins outside Hagerstown. You're right man, they def helped out a lot and I've already learned a lot from this site and from them. This is def the the nicest forum I have been on and thank you for the welcome

#13 Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Its west of Carlisle.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae