04 STI Future Upgrade roadmap - help! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-07-2009, 01:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mike'sTI is an unknown
04 STI Future Upgrade roadmap - help!

1st) I realize the question has probably been asked. I have searched this and other forums. Searching for STI AP, or STI engine management, or STI upgrades kicks back every posting on the forum as these are common topics.

2nd) the depth on knowledge of some of you on this site is fantastic and I would like a shot at pulling from that knowledge.

I recently bought an 04 STI with 48k miles. I want to do small upgrades now with some power gain, but maintain reliability as a daily driver for at least a few more years. Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

TBE, engine management or tune of some kind, snorkus delete or similar, intercooler tilt (phoenix heat), and aftermarket autozone windshield wipers for added HP (that part is a joke).

I have read theads that talk about regular WRX's requiring engine management with TBE, and I'm assuming that it would also be smart on an STI... Is this true? I can't find many good STI modification guides, every once and a while I find a thread that mentions STI in a few places.

Can you guys recommend a good TBE setup for an STI (sound is not important to me). Also please mention your recommendations for engine management and keep in mind reliability is key to me. I don't want to go crazy with mods at this time because I love my car as is, and want a 2nd daily driver before I go nuts. I want to have extremely tasteful mods and will save up and spend the $ where necessary.

Thanks for your time, you guys rock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2009, 01:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike'sTI View Post
1st) ......................I have read theads that talk about regular WRX's requiring engine management with TBE, and I'm assuming that it would also be smart on an STI... Is this true? I can't find many good STI modification guides, every once and a while I find a thread that mentions STI in a few places.

Can you guys recommend a good TBE setup for an STI (sound is not important to me). Also please mention your recommendations for engine management and keep in mind reliability is key to me.
WRX's and STi's are very similar as far as requirements in mods and EM. Yea it is a good idea to get some EM with TBE on your STi.

As far as recommending you a good TBE, it's hard to just name one. There are tons of good ones out there at prices in several different ranges. I would recommend going with Invidia as it has one of the fewest bends and curves and is a good price and good quality.

Cobb AP is a great tuning tool for starters as far as EM goes. If you want to try that take at look at this badass deal I found:

CVR Motorsports - Subaru :: WRX :: 2002-2003 :: Power Packages :: Stage 2 Power Package

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#3 Old 07-07-2009, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
TBE, Better BCS, and a tune will make a fun daily driver without reducing reliability.

You need EM to run a TBE. I suggest Open Source tuning.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#4 Old 07-07-2009, 07:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mike'sTI is an unknown
Thanks for the feedback guys, how much should I expect to pay for a shop to tune the car and get it nice and dialed in?
#5 Old 07-07-2009, 08:36 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
That depends on the type of EM you choose usually. Find a tune shop around you, talk to them and see what they are most comfortable with. It can go anywhere from $75 to $700 (I have seen both).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"