Subaru WRX Forum banner

03 wrx symetrical AWD question

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  sleepr 
#1 ·
so im somewhat new wrx owner and after purchasing car I noticed a small wine that changes with speed, im pretty sure it is coming from drivetrain and not wheel bearings as it does not go away with sharp turning left or right. trying to troubleshoot I jacked car up to spin all 4 wheels and when disengaging clutch it was making horrible clunking noises and a realized I left e-brake on and rear wheels were not spinning. so after releasing e brake noise was gone and all 4 wheels began spinning, what could cause power to be only applied to front wheels, and also as a test I jacked up only rear with front still on ground and same thing bad clunking rear tires had power applied and car did not try to move forward.

#2 ·
The clunking noise is more than likely traction control freaking out cause two of the wheels were locked up. The whining noise is not uncommon to the 5 speed wrx trans, especially if you have after market shifter bushings or mounts, which is a common mid on these cars

#3 ·
No traction control on an 03 WRX unless you count the limited slip differentials. And the handbrake only works the rear wheels so the fronts were the only ones that could move.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I would assume that jacking up the rear leaving the wheels on the jack pointed forward would try and pull the car forward. say you drove into a small ditch from a slick condition and your front wheels were in the snow and rear wheels were on dry pavement would only the front tires spin. I know im looking at this as 4x4 cause that's what I have always had but why would AWD be diff. I would think that if you had e-brake on with all 4 tires off ground the car would need to spin at least 1 tire in front and 1 tire in rear so it would ether die letting of clutch or smoke the e-brake. what would be the point of 4 wheel drive if the front or the rear had ultimate traction but power was applied to end that had least traction.

#9 ·
Understood, but I am more concerned about your safety and the un-natural load that is being put on your drivetrain. The links I have provided demonstrate a much safer way to "experiment", and explain the nature of AWD systems from various manufacturers.

(Truck) 4x4 systems (that aren't computer controlled) are usually based on a differential that is either "open" or "locked", with no in between. (Automobile) AWD systems are usually operating in a variable manner within the "gray area" between "open" and "locked". Of course there is much more to it than that, but it's a way to start what becomes a very long and technical discussion. (Check out the second video link!) ;)

#8 ·
It's probably this...Transmission noise fixed! center diff bearing - NASIOC I have that whine too. I don't think it means the center diff isn't working. It could also be shim between center diff came lose and caused gear damage and Bearing damage. Repair about $1800 Or about $450 if it's just the center diff bearings.

Why didn't his front wheels pull? I've completely bottomed out my car. I had a friend stand on the rear bumper to get one rear wheel on the ground and it was enough to pull me out. I don't get it, his front wheels should have pulled.

Is there a test to see if the center diff is working properly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.