Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   '02 wrx sputters after open source tune... help (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/02-wrx-sputters-after-open-source-tune-help-41530/)

staiflexat1 11-20-2013 03:02 PM

'02 wrx sputters after open source tune... help

'02 WRX tuned with OPENSOURCE

I have a first gen HKS blow off valve... it does not recirculate...

When I hit the gas before the blow off valve opens the car sputters, when I drive it and shift gears and hit the gas again it sputters again...

I think it's running too rich or too lean...

The shop said that the blow off valve sping is weak so there is no way tuning around that...

They suggested the turbosmart compact blow off valve that is recirculating and that should take care of the problem...

Also need to install a GrimSpeed boost solenoid so it can hold boost to red line and not fall off...

Is there a way the tuner can tune the tip in throttle? can they also tune surging?

They will have to tune it again once the boost solenoid is there, I just want to make sure these guys know what they are doing?

I would really appreciate some input...

If anyone had this problem... how did it get fixed?

Nathan21 11-20-2013 03:18 PM

Get a bpv and your answers will be solved
get something that is FULL Recirculating

Brockton 11-20-2013 03:50 PM

^This

thekamikaze kid 11-20-2013 04:10 PM

I just had this. I had a hks bov, what u got is what I believe compressor surge. Is it makin a flutter sound? If so a new bpv/bov should fix this. I'm not sure but u might be able to fix the one u got by tightening it er something. everyone here will tell u to go back to stock, will defiantly fix this prob, but no sound. Good luck.

turmic 11-20-2013 06:26 PM

[quote=staiflexat1;401882]'02 WRX tuned with OPENSOURCE

I have a first gen HKS blow off valve... it does not recirculate...

When I hit the gas before the blow off valve opens the car sputters, when I drive it and shift gears and hit the gas again it sputters again...

I think it's running too rich or too lean...

The shop said that the blow off valve sping is weak so there is no way tuning around that...

They suggested the turbosmart compact blow off valve that is recirculating and that should take care of the problem...

Also need to install a GrimSpeed boost solenoid so it can hold boost to red line and not fall off...

Is there a way the tuner can tune the tip in throttle? can they also tune surging?

They will have to tune it again once the boost solenoid is there, I just want to make sure these guys know what they are doing?

I would really appreciate some input...

If anyone had this problem... how did it get fixed?[/quote]

Who is your tuner?

sleepr 11-20-2013 06:34 PM

Heed your shop's suggestions. They are telling you what is needed in order for them to properly tune your car.

If they weren't legally obligated to allow you to make the decision, they would have already made those changes before they attempted to tune your car.:)

staiflexat1 11-20-2013 08:06 PM

would a 50/50 blow off valve work? or do I need to get a 100 % recirculating blow off valve?

I really like the blow off valve sound.

Does anyone have a good Recirculating into the atmosphere blow off valve that would work well?

thekamikaze kid 11-20-2013 08:29 PM

a good place to ask is [url=http://scoobytuner.com/]ScoobyTuner.com - Engine Performance, Engine Parts, Exhaust, Suspension, Brakes, ECU Tuning for Subaru, STi, WRX, Legacy, Forrester and Mitsubishi, Lancer, EVOlution Evo-8, EVO-9, EVO-10 and Eclipse[/url] they seem to know a little. you can "live chat" with one of those dudes.

BLAZE2099 11-20-2013 09:21 PM

[quote=staiflexat1;402130]would a 50/50 blow off valve work? or do I need to get a 100 % recirculating blow off valve?

Does anyone have a good Recirculating into the atmosphere blow off valve that would work well?[/quote] We advise against them;)

[quote=thekamikaze kid;402154]a good place to ask is [url=http://scoobytuner.com/]ScoobyTuner.com - Engine Performance, Engine Parts, Exhaust, Suspension, Brakes, ECU Tuning for Subaru, STi, WRX, Legacy, Forrester and Mitsubishi, Lancer, EVOlution Evo-8, EVO-9, EVO-10 and Eclipse[/url] they seem to know a little. you can "live chat" with one of those dudes.[/quote]
Really.
Sheesh WTF

pzr2874 11-21-2013 10:14 AM

[quote=staiflexat1;402130]would a 50/50 blow off valve work? or do I need to get a 100 % recirculating blow off valve?

Does anyone have a good Recirculating into the atmosphere blow off valve that would work well?[/quote]

Look at a Forge BPV then.

man show 11-21-2013 10:25 AM

Cobb's XLE bpv might also be an option.