Subaru WRX Forum banner

02 WRX radiator might be shot. Please Help.

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Cosmo_kraemer 
#1 ·
So today i had to take the wife to class and when i got home i turned off the car and i heard fluid running and bubbling. so i popped the hood, once i did and started looking around i heard the sound coming from the turbo area and the turbo reservoir, also i think it was coming from the over fill tank. besides that that i had notices some coolant around the radiator cap, but where the radiator body and the fill cap thing mounts to it. any idea's would be great.will post a pic of where im talking about.

#2 ·
So today i had to take the wife to class and when i got home i turned off the car and i heard fluid running and bubbling. so i popped the hood, once i did and started looking around i heard the sound coming from the turbo area and the turbo reservoir, also i think it was coming from the over fill tank. besides that that i had notices some coolant around the radiator cap, but where the radiator body and the fill cap thing mounts to it. any idea's would be great.will post a pic of where im talking about.

Attachments

#3 ·
If its just in the turbo reservoir it is normal, when the car is turned off the coolant in the turbo takes a bit longer to drain out than when its on and flowing, it can easily heat to the point of boiling then drain into the reservoir.

If the boiling is elsewhere it can be from a number of things. Coolant leaks can cause lower pressure in the system and thus lower the boiling point. It could be a bad radiator cap, blown head gasket, too much water, if it was recently replaced it might not have been bled properly, there are a lot of reason your coolant can boil.

The little bit of coolant around the cap is suspect though. Might just be a bad cap thats letting some of the coolant splash out.

#4 ·
Thanks the boil was not really my issue, it was more the fact it was leaking near the pour area below the Cap. but it also may have been a false alarm.it looks like it is leaking from the over fill tank hose where it mates with the Radiator. well i hope its jsut that as 200 bucks would set me back right now. Thank you for the help tho i will keep this around for now as i am keeping an eye to make sure its the hose. DOes anyone know if there is to be a clap there or no that would be a big help. and thank you again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.