Subaru WRX Forum banner

02 WRX performance upgrades

6K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  pb-king07 
#1 ·
Hi, I got a 02 wrx about 4 months ago and it has some mods and im in love with it. Sold my civic for it:) and Im just wondering what do I upgrade next for performance. The mods that I can think of at the moment are:

at 18psi
turboxs UTEC system. Its set to the stage 3 from turboxs
new stage 1 clutch and the 13.9 lbs flywheel
NGK IRIDIUM plugs
aftermarket BIG TMIC
aftermarket pullys
HKS BOV
full exaust with headers
pretty much every bolt on you can buy.

Im just wanting to know the next step in raising the performance. I would want to go for cheaper performance upgrades first then the more expensive ones. please let me know. I have money to buy stuff if anyone has anything. Thank you.

#2 ·
Welcome to the fun, bugeyes rock !!

I'll let all the HP nutters chime in on the mods you are considering, but save your money on the BOV, headers and plugs, and invest in swaybars and good tires. Making your car handle well is lots more satisfying fun than showing off at stop lights IMHO

Everybody will ask what the current mods are BTW

#5 ·
#7 ·
I am with Wagonracer make her handle. I don’t the have the most power, just enough, but the big power car can’t hang in the corners. Get some bars and an alignment, some neg camber will make the car feel much better. I would look into brakes to go with the power.
A bigger turbo will need injectors, fuel pump and a tune. You will want to keep power in the 300whp range if you want to keep the tranny in the car. A lot of tranny problems are cause by the drive not knowing how to drive a Subaru.

#9 ·
Im getting ready to run a (very) conservative tune on my TDO5-20G (around 310WHP), with 850cc injectors, pump, TurboXS TMIC, Perrin BPV, 3 Port BCS, with install and tune its running me roughly $3600. But that verys on where you buy parts, the tuner/shop. Call SBR (slowboyracing.com) ask for Marti, thats where I got my parts for in a package deal he put together with me, tell him Josh sent you.

#11 ·
Where you go next for performance depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want to drag race it is a different mod path than if you want to auto cross or do time attack.

If the car runs well I would suggest a driver mod next. Pay for some lessons and learn how to drive it the way it is. That way you can make an informed decision on whether you need more power or a better suspension or if you should just leave it alone.

#12 ·
That's an excellent suggestion ^^^. HPDE is money very well spent. Check your area racetracks, NASA etc. for a chance to get a track weekend. If new to NASA you get a full weekend with an instructor for the price of entry (usually $250-$300) You'll typically get 8-10 track sessions for the weekend, and the time of your life !Thumbs Up

#18 ·
Ok cool. Thats what I'm going to do tomorrow. Ill post some pics of how it goes.

I was also wondering if anyone would know why my car makes a bad grinding sound when decelerating. Its not insanely loud, i can only hear it when music is off and it only does it when I'm not giving it any gas. If i give it just a tiny bit of gas even if im still losing speed it doesn't make a sound.

#27 ·
Well I hate to say it but if you want to drag. then you need to get better gears for your tranny. like some ppg. with the mods and stuff you have on there. the one thats going to kill your tranny is drag racing with a stage 1 clutch. but its your car so you can do what you want with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.