02-05 2.0T or 06-07 2.5T WRX Engine & trans - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-09-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mitch Wright is an unknown
02-05 2.0T or 06-07 2.5T WRX Engine & trans

I am doing research for a 818 Factory Five kit car I am interested in building. The doner car can be a 02-07 WRX. The car will only be used for track use and planning to keep the engine in stock form with a ECU flash and open exhaust.
I am leaning toward the 06-07 2.5T thinking the performance will be at a lower RPM range. Plus I have found cars with under 50,000 miles.

What are the Pro's and Con's of the 02-05 and 06-07 WRX engines and drivetrains?

Thanks
Mitch Wright
Pittsburgh International Race Complex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Anybody have an opinion or comment on the benefits of the 2.0T WRX engine and trans over the 06-07 2.5T WRX engine and trans?
post #3 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The EJ255 is overall a more stout motor. You've already pointed out the main strong point: the extra low end. It is a stronger block and has stronger internals, but the 2.0L is happier in higher revs. It's something to consider.

The drivetrain on the 2.5Ls are unarguably better. Dual cone synchros were added to 1st gear in the +'06s where as the earlier ones had a 1st gear lockout. And they seem to handle more abuse.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks, the type of information and insight I am looking for.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Redline of the 2.5 L is 6700 rpm and the 2.0 L is 7000 rpm, likely to keep the max piston speed the same with the longer 79 mm stroke of the 2.5 L motor. Both would be excellent choices for your application, as they have a fundamentally good design and are easy to tune.

Below are some power curves. The first is from the STI brochure, so it's stock and the other is COBB's tuned vs. stock comparison, probably for the 2.0L twin-cam turbo.

In general, "As you remove cats on the way to Stg 2, the spool improves and your torque peak moves earlier in the rev range. Most tunes also use more boost earlier in the rev range and taper to less. As Chris mentions, more power earlier, and it stays high for longer" [S.Deneka, SPDA auto Club co-founder]
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Great, info thanks. My goal is a flat torque curve with around 270-280hp that will be durable. The car will weigh 1800-1900lb which will make it fun.