V8 Spec C EJ207 swap to 4EAT - Page 5 - Subaru WRX Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 111 Old 04-21-2016, 07:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Congrats man!

Where is the dyno sheet?

05 WRX Wagon - 409 AWHP / 334 WTQ Wicked Matt Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 111 Old 04-21-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
its being street tuned. no dynos here. automatic and dynos dont mix.

but there WILL be lots and lots of time slips once its all dialed in

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #63 of 111 Old 04-21-2016, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
First I have heard of "Dynos and auto's don't mix". But hey the butt dyno is all that matters!!

05 WRX Wagon - 409 AWHP / 334 WTQ Wicked Matt Tuned

post #64 of 111 Old 04-21-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
there is no real way to do proper single gear pull. you can hold 1st and 2nd, otherwise the auto always wants to shift and makes dyno tuning troublesome. tuning the shift points is just as important being 4EAT. it CAN be done, but its just easier to drive it.

so really you can tune the motor on the dyno so it runs safe and proper, but you should tune the tranny on the road. so its just easier to do the whole thing on the road. closed roads of course

dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 04-22-2016 at 06:40 AM.
post #65 of 111 Old 04-22-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
got a look underneath, oil leak is a little worse than i thought. oil level is at the low (L) mark.

its really weird, might have a defective AN fitting. its the line leaking off the cooler adapter, but only one of them, and only when its hot enough to open the thermostat. there is one hose to the cooler core and one return hose. oil is coming out of the threads of one of them. and definitely not an install issue as both fittings are tight. staying parked untill i get it back to the builders next week.

dont forget to wave
post #66 of 111 Old 04-22-2016, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Got that machine on the road yet?

Laszlo - white '11 STi sedan
Buckle up. The all-new WRX STi is here.
post #67 of 111 Old 04-23-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
parked till next week when we can fix the oil leak

@LW_Black4 you going to subiefest at icar/mirabel in august? im gonna try to make it hopefully.

dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 04-25-2016 at 07:55 AM.
post #68 of 111 Old 04-26-2016, 08:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Too busy for hard parking. :P

We're running performance driving events, man!

Our annual Autocross school was this weekend, dubbed the Advanced Driving Clinic.

We're running 4 Beginner Friendly Track Days, a few Nav Rallies, Autocross & Time Attack events. Whenever I have an open weekend I'm volunteering for these.

Here's some photos of this weekend:
Attached Images

sleepr and titter like this.

post #69 of 111 Old 04-27-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
made the 100km trip to the builders. only had to stop once to add oil along the way lol. i mean what else can i do but laugh?

the manual ECU doesnt have a pin for the AT Temp so the AT OIL TEMP light on the dash is constanly blinking because there is no sensor pin. so were just going to bypass it and then install a separate AT Oil Temp gauge when i add an external trans oil cooler.

this so far is literally the only electrical gremlin from the whole swap. i need to find the ECM pinout from an automatic sti. what i though months ago was incorrect. yes auto sti's do exist in japan despite what the internet tells you. there are STI police cars that have 5EAT's. infact, during this process, i found a police modifed 5EAT tranmission i almost bought to swap in but it wont fit. its even harder to fit than a 6 speed.
RoboTuner likes this.

dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 04-27-2016 at 07:10 AM.
post #70 of 111 Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
You're breaking new ground, mate. Others will appreciate it if you document the 4EAT conversion process.
Jackstand Johnny likes this.

post #71 of 111 Old 04-27-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
honestly the process has been exactly the same. im so suprized that there is actually nothing really to document. i wouldn't say "new" ground. its been done a few times in the past and said to never work properly, but from what i read the problems lead back to the user and not the car itself.

the motor swapped in like any other. mated fine to the 4EAT, bolted to the crossmember as normally should. AVCS was wired up and even a JDM Forester SG5 ecu was used and it started right up and drove out of the garage as is. cant be more simple than that. these cars really do go together like lego (at least the GD chassis do). it wasnt untill a few days later that the custom map was flashed to the rom. i started this thread hoping to do exactly what you say but really there hasnt been any humps. A/C had to come out to make room for everything (my strut bar wouldnt have fit) and the cruise control delete is a simple procedure with plenty of diy's out there.

the biggest battle we had is rust on a 14 year old canadian winter driven car, my idiocy involving the oil cooler, and of course the blinking AT light which is nothing but a blinking light literally connected to nothing.

i'll get some more pics up once this oil leak is fixed and i have the car back.

dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 05-02-2016 at 11:12 AM.
post #72 of 111 Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
for anyone looking for AVCS wiring diagrams that wants to wire their own car and avoid buying the IAP harness.

dont forget to wave
post #73 of 111 Old 05-07-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
got the car back for a day aaannnnnndddd blew a CV boot. same one. inner boot, passenger side. we determined its not just the heat from the uppipe/downpipe (as there is oem heat sheidling AND dei wrap in place) but its the old rubber on the used jdm axles that went in. while the axle itself is it great condition (inspected before installation), who knows how old the rubber is and how long it has been sitting and drying out. that combined with the heat of this specific position, keeps cracking the boot as i keep swapping in used axles. (these are spare free axles btw so im not throwing away money on parts)

ordered a new oem boot and were going to re-boot/re-grease as i probably should have done in the first place.

a tip for anyone buying used axles:
spend the extra $40 on 2 new boots before they go in. as i said, the axle may be pristine but old/dry rubber might crack no matter how new it looks.

dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 05-09-2016 at 08:41 AM.
post #74 of 111 Old 05-16-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
final tune coming up.

im a quite certain the stock 4EAT is not going to hold up. starting to look into options.

NOT doing a 6 speed. will either be a built 4EAT (IPT or Andrewtech) or a 4.11 JDM 5 Speed with built gearset (LGT or PPG)

i really want to stay automatic. this motor LOVES the 4EAT. shifts fast and hard. pulls through the gears all the way to the redline and all the way to 200kph (maybe more dunno yet lol) its super quiet too even though im full catless 3" exhaust. i can get up to highway speeds easily with ever going over 3000rpm. the drone of the exhaust note at that rpm it super quiet. i pull up and drive away from police without them even looking over.

i had an opportunity to get a 5EAT from an JDM STI Police Car, but due to its modifications, it will be too much of a problem to fit. would have been nice though

dont forget to wave
post #75 of 111 Old 05-18-2016, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention
5 speed with 2008 Legacy GT gear set....
LW_Black4 and titter like this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies