V8 Spec C EJ207 swap to 4EAT - Subaru WRX Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 100 Old 01-05-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
V8 Spec C EJ207 swap to 4EAT

so i went ahead a pulled the trigger and got my ej207. i went with a v8 spec c instead of a v7 so i decided to make a new thread to avoid search confusion. i should also add that this will not include any how-to diy's. there are plenty of those out on the interweb. this will mostly cover parts needed, and tuning to help others properly run these motors on an automatic. and any other things that may pertain to my build.

i am going to try to document this as best i can as a 207 to an automatic is not something done every day and considered taboo by some. this car is being set up for drags over tracking so the automatic is the way to go. of course, the transmission will need some beefing up down the line, but for the time being it will hold the stock motor just fine.

v8 spec c

from an 04

okada coil packs

vf36

this will be a long process and probably wont be completed untill the spring. it will be a few weeks for me to prep the motor before it heads to the shop.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 01-22-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Did you get the ECU with it? You do know that the Spec C and S series cars didn't come with cruise control?
titter likes this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
post #3 of 100 Old 01-05-2016, 12:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Love that motor! Tell us a little more about it please; what turbo, power, TQ, etc?
titter likes this.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
post #4 of 100 Old 01-05-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
yes ecu came with it. got a jdm bpv for the after market tmic, as well as the jdm sti bcs. yes there is no cruise control on the motor. you can tell by only 1 cable coming off the throttle body. the other hole is where the cruise cable goes. it will be deleted from the car along with the a/c. (even tho there is a compressor, i am removing it for various reasons) cruise control i hate with a passion. it disconnects me from the car and make me feel like the steering wheel is a game controller and im not really in a car at all. the a/c is going because... well... canada! and also the a/c lines are in the way of a bumch of stuf.

2004 Sti Spec C (internet source) EJ207 Info - NASIOC
Max. Power 205.8 kw / 276 bhp @ 6400 rpm
Max torque 412 nm / 303.9 ft lbs @ 4400 rpm

thats the "advertized" power numbers from the factory. JDM motors around that time were rumored to be highly underrated numbers from factory spec. they pretty much just lied about it. numbers are usually higher. some put down just over 300whp on the stock motor on a fresh swap. at least according to posted dyno charts. whether they are accurate is a different story. it is the internet after all.

the work is being done by Tonik Motorsports http://www.tonikmotorsports.com/

dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 01-06-2016 at 02:01 PM.
post #5 of 100 Old 01-06-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage

the turbo is a VF36. its ball bearing turbo. here is the turbine housing. pretty clean in there. checked the shaft with a neodymium magnet to verify it is infact titanium aluminide

timimg belt and iridium cold plugs are being done while the motor is out.

still debating exhaust options. Tomei is redesigning their twinscroll down pipe and i dont know if i can wait untill then. but at the moment it is discontinued. so unless i get some custom work done (which i would like to avoid being rather costly) my options are either Lachute or Tomioka... and im leaning towards Tomioka.

perrin motor mounts and pitch stop are going in.

if the shop can fix the turbo inlet i can avoid buying an intake. the nipple which connects to the boost control solenoid broke off during transit, but the rest of the inlet is quite new and shiny. no crap inside either. so if we can sonic weld or jb weld a new nipple on the inlet, i will stick with that. otherwise, if i have to buy a new turbo inlet, im going to do the full intake.

the oil cooler will be deleted because i only have the thermostatic adapter and i did not receive the "radiator" part of the oil cooler and dont feel like sourcing one. this car is a DD and the oil cooler isnt really needed since im already in a cold climate. apparently overcooling the oil has happened to people.

dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 02-02-2016 at 05:47 PM.
post #6 of 100 Old 01-06-2016, 03:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I'm running a Perrin inlet in my EJ207, and a new Gates belt.
Attached Images

titter likes this.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
post #7 of 100 Old 01-06-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
yea im either going perrin or tomei if i go that route. highly impressed with pretty much anything perrin makes.

what gates kit did u get @LW_Black4 ? TCK328RB is what i was told to get. yes its labeled for the 257.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...iming-belt-kit

dont forget to wave
post #8 of 100 Old 01-06-2016, 05:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
STi belt is required because of the AVCS. I went with the standard STi Gates belt, rather than the racing one.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
post #9 of 100 Old 01-06-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
ok gotcha. thanks! im going to double check everything with my builder but i wanna be prepared.

dont forget to wave
post #10 of 100 Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jackstand Johnny is more helpful than not
Garage
Im jealous! One day Id love to do this swap in my 4EAT bugeye WRX wagon. Id really love to get my hand son one of the SS 4EAT or 5EAT's from Japan so I can do "manual shifts". MORE PICS!

This is great you guys are great.
post #11 of 100 Old 01-06-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage

here is the fitting that is broken on the inlet. its the one that goes to the boost solenoid. simple fix. came off pretty clean. could probably thread and teflon tape a fitting. but will go with a stronger, more long lasting option.

transit damage happens on almost all imported long blocks. this so far being the only one, i consider myself fortunate.

dont forget to wave
post #12 of 100 Old 01-06-2016, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention
You mean this oil cooler?

It only came factory on the S202. The Spec C only received an trans oil cooler.
Attached Images

LW_Black4 likes this.

03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
post #13 of 100 Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Also there is another option for your down pipe situation.
Turbo Dump Down Pipe Head Subaru WRX STI VF36 VF37 Twin Scroll 3" Spec C | eBay
Custom build one or have it built
titter likes this.

03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
post #14 of 100 Old 01-07-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
this is what is on my motor. apparently its super rare and has a thermo built in?

this is what i dont have.

i can modify the above to fit AN and then use any cooler core (bottom left, example pics, not my car)

nonetheless, it still may be deleted

thanks for the bellmouth link @psinuse i will consider it. will depends on cost, but i have zero welding skills so a shop would be doing that.

dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 01-11-2016 at 06:42 PM.
post #15 of 100 Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If you go with the Perrin inlet PLEASE pay attention to it as mine SHRUNK and would slip off of the turbo no matter how much I tightened the clamp. My tuner had this happen to multiple customers as well. I am not saying the same will happen to you. Just a word of caution... because you might not find out until its too late...
titter likes this.

05 WRX Wagon - 409 AWHP / 334 WTQ Wicked Matt Tuned