Hey Guys, (And Gals of course
I know the stock brakes on our subarus aren't as great as they can be. Although Big-brake kits are always an option, there's another alternative that's a great economical "Stage 1" brake upgrade. Some people don't know this exists, so I wanted to post this up to make everyone aware of this easy upgrade.
Stoptech makes "Sport Upgrade Kits" that include rotors, pads and stainless steel lines for use with OEM calipers. These Kits offer substantial savings vs "DIY part by part" upgrades and they really work well compared to the stock brake setup.
In addition; the install is fairly easy and the rotors are OEM diameter, so stock wheels fit with no problem.
Here's an image of what the typical sport kit looks like:
A few nice features of the rotors are:
- Direct Replacement Design
- Slotting/Cross Drilling helps wipe debris from pads
- Special Rotor Finish helps prevent pad glazing and improves wet grip
- Durable Black E-Coating on prevents corrosion on the non-swept areas
- Available Cryogenically treated for enhanced durability and longer life
Technically Stoptech doesn't offer the Sport kits with "Blank" rotors but we can put together custom kits for people that are interested.
The Pads included are Stoptech's special "Street Performance" Friction formula which are perfect for most peoples Street and Sport use.
Standard Features of the Street Performance Pads:
- Proprietary Para-Aramid composite provides linear response under all temperature conditions
- 100% positive molded uniform friction material density
- Low Dust formula is easy on rotors and keeps wheels cleaner
- Scorched to raise cold effectiveness and promote easy bed-in
- 100% asbestos free formula
The Stainless steel lines included really should be an upgrade for every car. Upgrading your soft squishy rubber lines, provides instant response and great feedback, which results in more consistent brake activation and much higher braking confidence.
The PTFE inner line carries the brake fluid obstruction free directly to the calipers. Stainless steel woven braid reinforces the PTFE inner liner and is very resistant to expansion and degradation from exposure to brake fluid. The outer surface of the woven braid is Coated in a special abrasion resistant Clear PVC liner for maximum protection against chaffing or rubbing. End fittings are engineered with strain relief devices and proper fit and durability. All brackets and fasteners necessary are also included.
Overall I think this is a great option for those that need Great Street/Sport Brakes on a Budget. These kits will also work great at autocross/gymkhana events and other Legal "Canyon" drives.
I spend a lot of time reviewing details on this and other products that we carry, so let me know if you have any questions.