Will a 245/40r17 fit painlessly? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-06-2011, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Gram is an unknown
Will a 245/40r17 fit painlessly?

Hey guys I'm new to this site. I just bought a 07 WRX 4dr and am wanting to put new wheels and tires on. I would like to stick with the 245/40r17 because it doesnt throw the spedo out much (less than 1/2 and inch overall diameter difference). Im thinking of running a 9" wide wheel. I guess the question is: Has anyone been down this road before and will it work without rolling fenders and such?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
It matters on the offset. If you're looking at a 9" wide wheel though, the answer is no since there are no 17x9" wheels that have near enough offset. If you are looking at a Rota DPT or similar 17x9" wheel, the offset is +42 which is 11 less than stock. You would need to roll the rear fenders and if you want to fit that, more severe modifications may be required if you have a soft suspension (lowering springs and stock struts). I recommend you stick with 235/40R17. Forget the spedo, the gearing advantage of shortening your 5-speed is beneficial on it's own. Also, you can easily fit 235/40R17 on a 17x8" wheel which are very easy to find in a more respectable offset (+45 to +55, most are +48)

That all said, you can fit 245/40R17 on a wrx with stock fenders, you just need a stiff suspension and some high offset wheels. I have 17x8.5" +48 wheels for example, which would work. I put 255/40R17 on mine though, and I have some minor rear fender clearance problems...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 10 Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
you may want to take into account the added stress that wider tires put on your car...idk how much launching you do but that may not go so "painlessly"

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
1993 Trans Am - summer car

Last edited by baumgartenb; 04-06-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: dang cell phone...
post #4 of 10 Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Every WRX guy should at least try 17x8" +48 with 235/40R17 tires. It's what it should have come with from the factory.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #5 of 10 Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
My 07 WRX sedan:

Stock springs/struts
A couple of aftermarket polyurethane bushings
Whiteline 24 mm adj front/22 mm adj rear sway bars
Stock front endlinks
Kartboy rear endlinks

17x9 +42 Rota DPT wheels
245/40/17 Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires

When I installed the wheels/tires, I got a performance alignment and had the front and rear fenders rolled and pulled at the same time because I eventually want to lower the car (seriously considering Tokico D-Specs and RCE Yellows) and I don't want to worry about rubbing. Honestly, I don't know if those wheels and tires would have fit without modifying at least the rear fenders, but I know for sure I have no rubbing issues now.

John
07 WRX
post #6 of 10 Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Gram is an unknown
Hey thanks for the help guys. Alas it is a lonely WRX not an sti the factory tires are a 215/45R17. Not much launching (if any) will be done until I upgrade the clutch (original clutch with 60k miles on it). I will look into the 235/40's Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-06-2011, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
well I hope you are not talking about a heavy duty clutch...that would be even worse to launch with...

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
post #8 of 10 Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
02-07 wrxs have the transmissions that hate high TQ and upgraded clutches.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #9 of 10 Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Gram is an unknown
I was always told that the WRX's are only good for like a half dozen hard launches on the factory clutch. Anyways its a daily driver and I will be doing little to no launching with it.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
that is true....but what we are trying to say is that any added stress to our transmissions "02-07 wrx's" could hurt you...you can put a better clutch on your car if you want to just don't expect your tranny to hold up as well as it would with an oem replacement clutch...yes the heavy duty clutch should last you for a very long time. I have a stage 3 clutch on my car "it came with the car, I hate it" but I will not launch my car and I will probably never need to replace the clutch. So it all comes down to how you are planning on driving it...If you are not planning on launching the car and you want a clutch that will last forever go with heavy duty and be careful of second gear as well...but if want to launch your car and don't want to get your tranny rebuilt go with oem and pay for the clutches not the transmission...it will be cheaper in the long run...did I miss anything guys?

As for the tires you stated...wider tires look badass man rolling your fenders would be worth it, in most cases its not noticeable. Ive seen that wide of a tire work well on a car, but he has RA gearset to compensate as well as coilovers. not sure of what offset he has though.

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD

Last edited by baumgartenb; 04-07-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Cant leave out the OP