Subaru WRX Forum banner

wheel suggestions.

7K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  jhony 
#1 ·
I have had my wrx for almost a month now. I am not happy at all with the wheels that are on the car. 17 inch drags... I am thinking about white 17 or 18's with a taller tire. anybody have a sedona red rex with white wheels? or any suggestions on color options? thanks

#2 ·
it is ideal to stay about 25" outside diameter of tire, so i would suggest sticking with 17's. on a red car if you went white it might look a little christmas-ey? i dunno i like the black with chrome lip for that or maybe a gunmetal, gold might look funny too.

just google red wrx and you'll see some pics of different rims and stuff. might help you make a good choice. Rota has pretty good quality rims for a good price, i even hit a curb with mine and i couldn't believe how little damage it did. i was impressed

#3 ·
There are gearing benefits to going with a shorter than stock tire. I would not recommend a WRX going with oversized tires. If you want more sidewall, get smaller wheels. Rally prep'd Subarus generally run 15" wheels (which WILL clear your brakes) yet the total diameter is still 25" or less. The WRX's 5-speed in particular is already pretty call, especially compared to the STi 6-speed. Using taller tires can really bog down the WRX, especially the EJ205 versions (02-05).

#4 ·
Buy a 24H PT hub, lace on a nice deep section rim (Zipp, Williams, HED, or similar - there are tons of them now). Clincher should be fine if you want to race and train on the wheel. The carbon rims are pretty light and will be comparable in weight to an aluminum non-aero rim. Although I'm not familiar with the quality of the Williams 50mm carbon rims, for the price of the wheelset you can unlace the rear (it's 24H), toss the hub, and put a PT on there - you'll have a matching set of wheels and it'll cost $2k for the pair given the price of wireless PTs out there.

You have to have the same number of spokes left and right and they need to be crossed the same so no lacing on a 24H rim onto a 32H hub.

I'm getting out of my PT as I have too many wheels and can't convert a significant number of them to PT (both in cost and in compatibility):
sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...ertap-srm.html

If you have 1-2 sets of wheels, then PT is for you. In that scenario I'd buy 24H PT hubs and lace all my PT hubs with deep section rims.,..copied

#5 ·
17x8 Work CR KAI's come in white

17x8 Weds SA-90 Gravels come in white

but like they all said. If you want a taller side wall you need to consider a set of 15 or 16 wheels. BTW i love the sedona red with white wheels, ive seen a few at car shows and they always seem to be head turners

#6 ·
hey thanks for the advice guys...i ended up going with a 18 inch enkei with a set of 215 45 zr18 proxes 4 tires...but as you can see they are charcoal, and Im am really thinking about getting them powder coated white...you say they look good?

#8 ·
I think I wish I had a lift like that in my garage. About the wheels, I'm not terribly crazy about the silver lip. The orange color does somewhat match the sidemarkers, but against the red body color, they look a little mismatched. I think if you painted the wheels completely with a bright gold or dark gunmetal color, they'd look a little better against the red.

#9 ·
Yeah the lift is amazing!! haha...I am going to paint the lip the same color, I wasn't sure if it would be too much orange so I wanted to see what it would look like first....and if I painted them gold it would sort of look like everybody else's wrex, you know?

#14 ·
That car looks very familiar. Looks sick, I hardly recognize it. Glad to see you up on the forums. I do miss the old rex I must say. You do any other mods to her? I would love to hear the low down, I really miss the old girl. Took me over a month to finally find the right STi after the sad day of departure. Anywayz, I look forward to hearing from ya, That wing does look damn nice, I personally liked the black wheels, however, I did contemplate white at one time.

#15 ·
haha thanks man, yeah I have put an el header on it, intercooler tubing, pulstar spark plugs, and i just bought some 17 inch bbs wheels with blizzaks on them for winter...took off the fart can too lol. thats a nice sti you have there too!!! let me know if you ever want to sell it haha!!

#16 ·
Damn, that all sounds very nice, I'm sure it does literally. How much do those headers add? You get a protune? How many miles you got on her now? It does look better I must say. BBS's will look dope, and those tires will be good from what I hear. I'm still praying for that huge snow fall and all of the salt trucks to breakdown so its only AWD on the roads.
Yea I always wondered about all the hype about the STi. I was searching for over a month, it was between that and 02 S4. But, I just couldn't leave the Suby family. I finally found one down in Arkansas that was just too good a deal to pass up. Although, I already am do for a new clutch and front brakes, but I guess you gotta pay to play.

And yea, give me 2-3 years and I'll give ya a good deal on her and then go after that 2011.!Thumbs Up (Sedan of course)

#25 · (Edited)
yes the low is actually coming this weekend...and in desperate need of a scoop, the turbo xs tmic would love to be able to breathe better. And as for the tires, I am going to take the advice mosc gave me...I would have already if I wouldn't have found those for the price I did.

#27 ·
No I wanted them initially, but I found an older guy that wants to trade me his kyb gr2's with tein springs straight up for my oem's. so I figured I would go through with them and if I'm not happy with the ride I will sell them and go with a coilover setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.