Wheel setup on 2005 wrx wagon - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Camcutter719

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-16-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Camcutter719 is an unknown
Wheel setup on 2005 wrx wagon

Im not sure what wheels to buy, but im getting a blue 2005 wrx wagon for my first car and im going for the wide look with wider tires and fender flares (if i can find them). I was just wondering what width of tire/rim size should i buy to get the look im going for? Im going for something like the one in the photo, except with white or gold deep dish rims. I looked at xxr, but ive heard theyre really crappy. Any help is appreciated
Attached Images

Junker2777 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-16-2016, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I touched on this in your other post. A stock or mostly stock 2005 WRX doesn't have the power that warrants much wider tires. Going wider would just add rolling resistance and put extra stress on the drive train that wouldn't lead to better grip or better performance. Back in the RWD days going wider meant more grip but we drive AWD cars and they put down the power across all 4 tires ( 2 if you want to get technical with diffs ). Stick close to stock width of 215, If you get some 225s for a steal then those would be fine but i wouldn't go looking for 265s cause your just wasting money and hurting performance.

As far as wheels are concerned your wheel selection should match your use case. Your stock wheels will hold up to just about any abuse you could throw at them and because they are a bit smaller they will give you more sidewall to absorb some of the bumps during your daily drive. Your stockers are 16 inch wheels and you could get away with 17s without too much of a difference in feeling but I wouldnt go any larger than that on a stock suspension setup. That and your stock offset is 55, dont deviate more than 10mm in either direction and your suspension will thank you.

Some of my favorite wheels are the 05 STi wheels, 17x8 +53 i think and they came warpped in 225s. If you can find a set of take offs those would be perfect for your new WRX.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
post #3 of 8 Old 05-16-2016, 06:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
@MisterNBG can probably tell you how bad of an idea it is to go with the "wide look"

check out his build thread. he went wide and reverted back. (plus a whole bunch of other cool things)
The Blue Turd - Nik's 2004 WRX Build

05 sti rims are a 5x114 hub and wont fit the wrx 5x100 hub, and the 04 sti rims are 17x7.5

2011 WRX rims are 17x8 +53 and only 22lbs per rim. im sure you can find plenty of them as most wrx owners buy aftermarket rims

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 05-18-2016 at 03:23 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2016, 08:26 AM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Do you see how in that picture the wagon is across several parking spaces? That's because it's turning radius is so wide he can't turn into one!

2015 STi: Still Stock
04 STi, 04 WRX: SOLD
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2016, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
@MisterNBG can probably tell you how bad of an idea it is to go with the "wide look"

check out his build thread. he wend wide and reverted back. (plus a whole bunch of other cool things)
The Blue Turd - Nik's 2004 WRX Build

05 sti rims are a 5x114 hub and wont fit the wrx 5x100 hub, and the 04 sti rims are 17x7.5

2011 WRX rims are 17x8 +53 and only 22lbs per rim. im sure you can find plenty of them as most wrx owners buy aftermarket rims
- Good catch titter, I was thinking 2015 in my head, @ OP Those 114 hubs wont fit an 05 WRX at 5x100.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast
post #6 of 8 Old 05-18-2016, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

MisterNBG is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
Thanks for the mention. Although if professionally/correctly done, this setup can work pretty well, I would HIGHLY suggest against it for daily driving. The turn radius is bad enough on these cars. Not to mention the amount of metal you need to remove from your fender, inner wheel well & quarter panels just to be able to turn the wheel all the way & maintain 'some' suspension travel.

Sure it 'looks' nice... But is it worth the loss of a comfortable & usable daily? Even if you did this properly and achieved a grippy track setup. It would still suck for daily driving.

Just my .02... Best of luck with whatever you choose!
post #7 of 8 Old 05-18-2016, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

MisterNBG is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
A stock or mostly stock 2005 WRX doesn't have the power that warrants much wider tires. Going wider would just add rolling resistance and put extra stress on the drive train that wouldn't lead to better grip or better performance. Back in the RWD days going wider meant more grip but we drive AWD cars and they put down the power across all 4 tires ( 2 if you want to get technical with diffs ). Stick close to stock width of 215, If you get some 225s for a steal then those would be fine but i wouldn't go looking for 265s cause your just wasting money and hurting performance.
^ Facts!
When I went back to stock body & stock wheel/tire setup, my car felt MUCH faster & more nimble. It's unreal how much the added rotational mass from bigger wheels & tires can hurt performance.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2016, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

MisterNBG is an unknown
A few last things I'd like to mention. First of all regarding the XXRs, they're okay wheels... But they're heavy in comparison to stock STi BBS wheels. idk what look you're going for, but I'd recommend keeping the wheel's weight in mind.

As for the whole wide body thing. Take into account how much money this will require. A LOT! Cheap eBay replica fender flares alone are at least $500 (ABW or Karlton Flares are about 2x-3x that price) & I PROMISE you their fitment & finish will be utter garbage (speaking from experience). Plus bigger wheels cost more $$$ & that means bigger tires. which = more $$$. There's no way you can run a wide setup on stock suspension with out adjustable ride height so coilovers... $$. Lastly paint for the new flares = $$. This is all assuming you're DIY & no garage labor because that would cost even more $$.

All that money could get you some really cool engine mods, like stage 3 close to 300whp engine mods. Or maybe a 6 speed swap? Or maybe an STi interior?

Man I'm not trying to talk down to you or anything, I just wish I had someone like me telling me not to go through with going wide a year ago... Waste of time & money. & if not done properly, just looks like trash (my car) :'( lol Plus all the $$ it takes to come back from being so wide in case you change your mind. God forbid you cut your rear quarters because then there is almost no coming back (thank god I didn't)