• 1 Post By mosc
  • 1 Post By ravenron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Wheel Opinion Needed

So I'm looking into winter wheels/tires and need an opinion on width/offset. Normally I wouldn't be looking at an offset like this, but these will ONLY be winter wheels.

Now with the wheel width change going from a 17x8 et53 to a 16x7 et35 my offset is only gonna change (outside) by 5mm which is great (unlike if the wheels were the same width), and obv inside clearance isn't going to be an issue. But my question is this. Will such a large offset/backspacing change effect my ability to bolt these on due to wheel stud length? I'm thinking it will and I'm gonna need longer studs which will def make me not wanna buy these.

These wheels AND tires are on CL for $150!! See why I'm contemplating this now?.?.lol!!

Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383046642.857114.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  45.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383046657.810088.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  89.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383046675.807314.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  114.5 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Wheel offset is lower than you want, but I don't see you driving hard on snow tires or too many miles on them. What kind of tread depth is remaining on the tires? I know I paid $300 shipped for stock WRX wheels with old but essentially unused Blizzaks on em.
#3 Old 10-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Garage
There's 7/32nds left which is more than enough to get me through this season. So to get a set of undamaged wheels with usable snows on them is hard to pass up for $150!! I def know that Sport Edition wheels are JUNK but I'll only be running these for winter wheels. I'd never in my life run these as my primary wheel lol!

My only concern is will the added backspacing on the wheel make it so the studs aren't long enough anymore to bolt the wheel on?.?.

Normally I can answer ANY wheel/tire question. But I've never added so much backspacing to either my own or a customers vehicle before so this is a new one for me surprisingly. I'm pretty sure these aren't gonna work though without extended studs...and I'm all set with that.

#4 Old 10-29-2013, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
There's 7/32nds left which is more than enough to get me through this season. So to get a set of undamaged wheels with usable snows on them is hard to pass up for $150!! I def know that Sport Edition wheels are JUNK but I'll only be running these for winter wheels. I'd never in my life run these as my primary wheel lol!

My only concern is will the added backspacing on the wheel make it so the studs aren't long enough anymore to bolt the wheel on?.?.

Normally I can answer ANY wheel/tire question. But I've never added so much backspacing to either my own or a customers vehicle before so this is a new one for me surprisingly. I'm pretty sure these aren't gonna work though without extended studs...and I'm all set with that.

Just to make sure you know, 7/32" on a snow tire is almost dead. Snow tires with less than 6/32" at just fast wearing all-seasons. You need more room to displace snow than you do water do you need more tread. Taking this into account, on some snow tires only the 1st half of the tread is made is ice friendly compounds because they aren't supposed to be used in snow past that point.

Wheel will not on fine though. You're not changing anything that would prevent that.
#5 Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Oh yeah I'm aware of what's actually useable for tread on a snow tire, and I know I'm cutting it close. With 7/32nds left and the fact I barely drive my car at all (company truck for DD) these should at least get me through this season. I'd pay $150 for the wheels alone though so if I see them and they're less I'll just find a cheap set of used snows. Even with 7/32nds left they're still better than the OE Dunlops in the snow I'd think....

It's just been harder than I thought to find a set of steel/alum 16" wheels to use online and people are trying to get $150-$200 just for steelies...nevermind something alum. But if I can go without having to roll on steelies I'd certainly like to lol!

Justin, I sent you a PM regarding back spacing.

#6 Old 11-03-2013, 11:06 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Try to find +45 offset or better. +55 would be ideal.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 11-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Yeah I know the offset is aggressive Mosc, and I know how you feel about anything below a 40mm lol!

But I really need to know if there will be any problems bolting these on due to the offset change. I was always under the impression that offset would effect how much useable stud you have left. Justin has shot some pointers my way, although another opinion would be great.

As you go lower in offset, does it give you less an less stud to work with?

#8 Old 11-04-2013, 10:05 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
No effect on the stud length. Spacers do that (which reduce offset on a given wheel), not the wheel itself.

The mounting limitation due to reducing offset is your fender well, specifically the corners of the rear fender when you hit a bump, loaded down. This is compounded by aggressive tire width choices.

But offset is far from cosmetic. The entire suspension system on your car is designed for specific angles between the car's weight and the car's strut. You change the offset, you unbalance that system.
the RIOT act likes this.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#9 Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

ravenron is an unknown
Hey guys...new here. I have a similar question as started this thread...

Got a smokin' deal on a winter tire combo.

Konig Z-In, 16x7, 5x100mm, 40mm offset
Yokahoma P205/55R16 W.Drive

Looking to put these on my 2014 WRX Hatch. I DO NOT want to do anything that will hurt the car but I do really need some winter treads.

Can I do this without breaking things and hurting people? Thanks much for the advice and information...take care...
#10 Old 02-24-2014, 05:46 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Wheel Opinion Needed

The wheel is perfectly fine spec wise. The tire, although SLIGHTLY under the original overall diameter will be perfectly fine to run as well. Go for them! No modding needed though, and def no damage to worry about.

#11 Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

ravenron is an unknown
Brandon...thanks much for the response. Makes me feel much better about getting these on the car. Sure gonna beat the heck outta sliding all over the road when the weather goes south. Take care and drive safe!
the RIOT act likes this.