Wheel fitment - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By brfatal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-30-2014, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

RickyTurbo11 is an unknown
Wheel fitment

I installed my ISC coilovers the other day and so far I love them. Getting in and out of driveways can be stressful but they make up for it in performance. So my question lies with trying to get my wheel fitment how I want it. Right now my wheels are kind of tucked behind the fender (not literally tucked underneath the fender, just not flush with the fender). What I want is my wheel to be flush with the fender if not sticking out a little for a real aggressive look. My wheels have a +55 offset and I have wheel spacers so I'm not sure how people who have the flush/sticking out look accomplish it. I thought aftermarket wheels like a 18X10 would do it but most have a less positive offset which I believe would mean they wouldn't stick out as much. Also, I believe my spacers are pretty big. Dont know for sure since I did not buy them so I dont know how many mm they are but to go bigger seems like it would really hurt my performance. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Thoughts? I hope I'm never driving behind you on a bumpy road, your wheels very well might fall off. Spacers are dangerous and stupid.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 06-02-2014, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Thoughts? I hope I'm never driving behind you on a bumpy road, your wheels very well might fall off. Spacers are dangerous and stupid.
If you are rolling with spacers and stock wheel studs then they are dangerous, Spacers are not usually recommended because they put additional stress on your suspension parts. From those pics it looks like someone did the right thing and added extended studs that should safely support the spacers, As far as wider wheel spacers are concerned there is a point where it will diminish suspension performance.

As far as a "safe" amount of spacer I cant make a real reccomendation. Some guys are ok with 5-10mm but you will most likely not see that kind of change. Its important to look at what the spacer is doing, It is increasing the length of the lever outside your calipers. the further you push out the wheels the longer the lever gets and the greater the risk of hub/axle/suspension damage.

I would recommend a wheel-set with more offset. Pull the wheels you have now, measure the spacer and pickup a wheelset that has that length built into the offset.

Hope that helps a bit

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#4 Old 06-02-2014, 05:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
3mm is safe. 5mm is pushing it. Anything larger has no place ever. If you need bigger spacer for suspension clearance or brake clearance you need to find a different wheel. Neither of the sizes I mentioned will make a difference aesthetically though.

That being said, wheel are not supposed to be flush. On a street car you WANT them to be inset so that you can fit a proper amount of tire and at the same time not worry about impacting your fenders. 9.5-10" wheels have no place on a non-race setup for a Subaru. You're not a RWD torque monster. Running redundant sizing will do more harm than good. You see a huge amount of steering rack failures on the previous widebody cars due to people running larger sizes than they need.

My recommendation if you want wider stick to 18x9 in the upper +40s offset range. They will easily clear your stock suspension. It won't stick out or be flush, but you're not ruining your handling or affecting reliability either.
Fidrat likes this.
#5 Old 06-03-2014, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

RickyTurbo11 is an unknown
Ok great. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll just stick to what I have now and maybe down the road look into a different wheel set up. Hopefully one that will give the look I want and be able to eliminate the spacers.
#6 Old 06-04-2014, 03:05 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The look you want is probably incompatible with decent ride quality or handling. It will also give you a turning radius wider than a school bus.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD