what brand tires? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
what brand tires?

I have bbs lm 18x9 +40. All around..

Now what brand tires are good to go with? I'll be drag racing, dry and wet weather as well maybe some snow.

Now the guy at a tire place said Achilles 2233 were good tires to go with, but iffy on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
what brand tires?

Ghost you have a pic of those wheels on your car I could see? I'm still undetermined on offset slightly. And what's your budget for tires and I'll help ya out. You going for a stanced out look like most youngons these days?? Lol...either way I'll help the best I can.

Sizes approved by me:
245/45R18
255/40R18 my recommendation
265/35R18

A 265 with a 35 series sidewall is gonna ride like sh!t so that's why I'd recommend the 255. And a 245 is too narrow for a 9" wheel IMO but its def approved technically. Pick a tire size and I can help you out with some good brands available in that size. Not all brands/treads are made in every size.

Once you pick a size too you can search for best tire results on here or NASIOC in that size. there's not much good about that sight except reviews if anything. But there should be tons of threads on this topic to help also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#3 Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
175$ per wheel.
#4 Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Garage
what brand tires?

Size?

#5 Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
245/40/18 or 235/40/18

And lower the car about an inch, would it rub?
#6 Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Ghost you have a pic of those wheels on your car I could see? I'm still undetermined on offset slightly. And what's your budget for tires and I'll help ya out. You going for a stanced out look like most youngons these days?? Lol...either way I'll help the best I can.

Sizes approved by me:
245/45R18
255/40R18 my recommendation
265/35R18

A 265 with a 35 series sidewall is gonna ride like sh!t so that's why I'd recommend the 255. And a 245 is too narrow for a 9" wheel IMO but its def approved technically. Pick a tire size and I can help you out with some good brands available in that size. Not all brands/treads are made in every size.

Once you pick a size too you can search for best tire results on here or NASIOC in that size. there's not much good about that sight except reviews if anything. But there should be tons of threads on this topic to help also.

not on yet, but getting them tomorrow on...

i got bbs lm 18x9 +40 all around.. 235/40/18, ill get pics up soon
#7 Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost911 View Post
I have bbs lm 18x9 +40. All around..

Now what brand tires are good to go with? I'll be drag racing, dry and wet weather as well maybe some snow.

Now the guy at a tire place said Achilles 2233 were good tires to go with, but iffy on that.
Your tire shop are idiots. Really? That bottom of the barrel garbage?

If you're doing all of that, then 245/35/18 or 255/35/18 Continental DWSs or Potenza RE960ASs. No hot performing dry tire will do anything in snow. You're going to have to take a hit and get all-seasons if that's something you want to be able to drive in.

235s are too small.
#8 Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
i got Achilles ATR SPORT tires, all reviews online are great
#9 Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 AM
Premium Member

Garage
what brand tires?

You could use the 245/40R18 if you want, but like mentioned a 235 is def a small width for a 9" wheel. If you lived closer I'd have some personal options to sell you, but seeing you're pretty far I'd stick to something like Tire Rack as a vendor. Here's what I would recommend under $175 off their site. Also like mentioned if you want great performance your going to have to stay away from the all season treads, but I listed both for you. Good luck OP

All season designs
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1362480417.740772.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  136.4 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1362480454.694204.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  145.9 KB

UHP designs
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1362480484.718533.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  149.7 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1362480498.207976.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  146.5 KB

#10 Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost911 View Post
i got Achilles ATR SPORT tires, all reviews online are great
And I didn't actually find any reviews when I looked online beyond some simple "wow, I really like these tires! They're a great value for the money!" nonsense statements that lack the most rudimentary requirements for comparison. No, you did not find any reviews either lets be honest now.

Similarly, you may want to rethink +40 offset wheels. But hey, they're BBS so they must be good.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
The riot act, ya I like the bf Goodrich tires.. but I'll see how these holed up.
#12 Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
BFG G-Force Sport are the worst tire I've ever put on a car. I've had multiple sets cheap "high performance" and grand touring all-seasons that had better dry grip and turn in response.

OP, if you haven't already had them installed, I highly recommend reconsidering your tire choice. What size did you end up with?
#13 Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

ghost911 is an unknown
Every one has there own opinion of course, nothing wrong with that. I had the bfg force on my civic and loved them, I would be taking corners or round abouts at 80 on 35speed. No problem.
#14 Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Of course talking about tires without comparing between two tires is completely meaningless. You need to drive two tires, on the same wheels, on the same car, in the same size! Then you can compile at least a fair comparison between TWO tires. Bridging that together with many other people, you can gradually get a general consensus. What you're doing is useless for understanding the variation between tires and you are far FAR better off relinquishing your opinion in favor of much more scrutinized general consensus.

More rigorous analysis performed by magazines, tirerack, consumer reports, etc gets lots of details out about tires in a variety of conditions in a much more factual way. Picking a tire that is not only unevaluated by these analysis's but also not even compared to tires that WERE evaluated is... unwise.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#15 Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Garage
what brand tires?

I was trying to find where BFG came into talks, and then I seen it on one of the pics I posted lol! But that pic is referring to the Kumho LX. BFG was the tire below. I personally wouldn't recommend those due to their tread wear rating being low compared to others, plus they're quite aggressive in design. Any loose front end component or alignment problem can send them things straight into "apache mode" cause that's what you'll sound like coming down the street lol! But like mentioned, there's a million opinions out there and on something as important as tires I'd stick to as much factual intel as possible from a known resource (ie: tire rack for specs and car/driver for reviews) as uneducated opinions can be costly. Just know one thing from someone who's been selling tires for 10+ years. It's not always "you get what you pay for" with tires. Cost per mile and mile per 32nd are key in most cases, although traction is a more major factor for us than in a usual sale so it makes things a little more complicated. With more traction comes less wear so its all about walking that fine line with us. I could sell you a set of Hankooks that'll embarrass Michelin so don't buy something based off the fact it's a known brand or costs more! Like I said its all about looking at traction/wear ratings (which tire rack would be the best for) as they have more manufacturers available in any particular size than any other site I'd say, and then comparing those stats to what professional sources (like car/driver) have said about road testing. I also seen your pm OP and will call ASAP.